The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN; Weekend Wines-Quick Notes! Laurel Glen and Broc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN; Weekend Wines-Quick Notes! Laurel Glen and Broc

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Laurel Glen Vineyards.

Sauvignon Blanc is usually pretty much a "meh" wine for me. I mean, I like it, but it doesn't usually grab my attention. Laurel Glen's new SB, from Russian River Valley vineyard, is surprisingly delicious. Crisp, stony, closer to the Loire than New Zealand. Not flabby like some California SB, instead there is a lovely crispness and brightness. Well done!

2014 "Counterpoint". Their "entry" cab. Simple but very slurpable early drinking cab.

2012 Laurel Glen Estate Cab. A BIGGER cab than past styles (although there has always been vintage variation!). Will be lovely in its pure black cassis fruit.

2006 Laurel Glen Estate Cab. Showing some really nice bottle age-I think this is at its sweet spot. The fruit is still there, but plenty of leather and earth showing as well. Also, somewhat "funky"...not sure this was Brett-may be bottle age showing nicely. Very nice and long finish. Lovely stuff!

2012 Laurel Glen Block 45. A "reserve" level of cab introduced that Bettina said was intended for longer aging. (Not that their regular 2012 won't age). This was interesting....even at this young phase, this bottle almost tasted like a mid point or "mixture" of the 2006 and the 2012! More fruit, but some earthy/leathery/funk that was quite nice! Intriguing.

BROC CELLARS

Broc Cellars had a holiday party with a lovely spread of appetizers.

Highlights:

2015 Michael Mara Chardonnay. The most expensive wine Chris has ever produced, and it is worth it. Steely, savory, feral. Utterly delicious Chabli-esque Chard that even a Chardonnay Skeptic would love!

2015 Zinfandels. From two sources, and they bottled the two sources separately as Magnums. All are very bright, earthy, high acid, juicy wines that taste like no other Zinfandels that I have ever had (the closest is probably the Dashe Cellars L'Enfant Terrible "nouveau" bottling?) Brilliant food wine!

2016 "Cou Cou" A "Cabernet Franc Nouveau". Chris Brockway style wine soda pop! :lol: Bright, fruity cherry flavors, some earthiness and funk. Went amazingly well with the creamy, rich chicken pot pies my friend Donna made. She and I enjoyed the wine with the food, but it was a touch too weird for her husband, who moved on to the 2012 Bouchaine Rocking H Pinot, which was a solid, earthy Petaluma Gap beauty.

2016 Cou Cou
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach