The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Good wines for return- Huet, Pommery, Nikolaihof, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Good wines for return- Huet, Pommery, Nikolaihof, etc

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:06 pm

Got up Sat 6 AM Bordeaux time, flew to CdG to discover a 3+ delay, so 2 hour layover became 5. Close to 9 PM EST by time we made it home to the hound, Betsy thawed some leftover Greek turkey meatballs and threw together a dinner. Wine was the 2015 Guignier “Bio-Vitis” Morgon. Slurpilicious, juicy black cherries, smoke, floral notes. There’s some tannin, but drinking well already. B++

Sunday got some work in, then went over to some friends for a birthday dinner for Betsy. A little surprise, her sister and family joined after a while. Ron and Nancy did a nice job of surprise, and of food. Appetizers were smoked oyster/hummus canapes, shrimp, and proscuitto/melon. I supplied the bubbles:

2002 Pommery “Cuvee Louise” Brut Champagne
Full-bodied, delicate bead, tasty apple and bread, but a little soft on acids and a tad sweet. B/B+

2002 Huet Vouvray Petillant Brut
Score! No premox here. Zippy acids, delicate petillance, apples, citrus, and peach blossom, earth and a little mushroom note. Holds up well. Lovely bottle . A-

2009 Caiarossa
Ripe, international, but with nice length and smooth finish. B

2004 Biondi “Outis” Etna Rosso
Dried cherry, red plum, a bit of leather. Tasty and alive, but I think I this was just as good on release. B+

Monday I made chicken with a mustard/thyme crust, broccoli, butternut squash/chickpea curry, and rice. Wine was 2013 Nikolaihof “Im Weingebirge” Gruner Veltliner Federspiel .Pretty classic medium bodied GV, citrus and pear with white pepper. Fresh acids, stony notes, good length. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.