The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pomerol, Loire, Liguria, Alto Piedmont

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Pomerol, Loire, Liguria, Alto Piedmont

by Dale Williams » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:09 pm

I had a speech in Rye, but Betsy held dinner for me. This is “Ottolenghi seafood with tomato” week for us, so she made the scallop/shrimp/clam with tomato and feta.
2014 La Bettigna Vermentino (Colli di Luni)
Nutty/appley, good acids, a bit advanced? C+

Thursday I took her to Saint George in Hastings, took a couple of wines. She had lobster bisque (with lobster meat) and duck breast with plum and spinach with a Bordelaise sauce; I had ricotta dumplings (maitake, black garlic, sage) and mustard-crusted cod with Brussels sprouts and cauliflower and the Bordelaise sauce. Ordered a glass of white for the lobster and in case the Bordelaise sauce didn’t make the cod red-friendly enough, and chose the red Bordeaux over the CFE.

2014 Daniel Reverdy Sancerre (by glass)
Last of a bottle, but it was fresh, and then they freshened from a new bottle. Granny smith, lemon, just a hint of grass. Plenty of fruit, plenty of acid backbone. Nice BTG pour B+/B

1998 Ch. Bourgneuf (Pomerol)
A little bit of funk I don’t remember from previous bottles (different source). Black plums, coffee, a little cigarbox and that touch of barnyard. Mostly resolved tannins, medium acidity, good length. B+/A-

Pork chops with orange (great easy Franey recipe) , parsleyed rice, carrots, and the 2007 Vallana Gattinara. Nice midweight Nebbiolo, black cherry with some cedar and rose petal, juicy acids, light tannins. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.