The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm

WTN: Some Austrian/Slovene Wines from BlueDanube..(long/bori

by TomHill » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:15 pm

We tried last night (12/7/16) Some Austrian/Slovene Wines from BlueDanube:
1. PeterBernreiter Gemischter Satz DAC: Wien/Jedlersdorf (13.5%; www.Bernreiter.At; www.BlueDanubeWine.com)
Vienna/Wien 2015
: Light gold color; very fragrant GV-like very flowery some mineral/chalky lovely perfumed nose;
somewhat tart/citric very flowery/GV-like slight tangy/metallic bit chalky/mineral very attractive flavor; very
long/lingering floral/carnations/aromatic/GV some stony/chalky/mineral quite juicy finish; not at the level of
an IngridGroiss but a lovely/flowery GS at a great price. $18.95 (BDWC)
lightly tart fairly rich/lush quite floral/GV/almost R-like light mineral/citric/tangy/orangey some complex flavor;
very long/lingering lightly tart/tangy very floral/GV/gardenias light stony/mineral/orangey finish; a really lovely
GV w/ loads of lush GV fruit; very balanced and should go out 5-8 yrs. $26.95 (BDWC)
closed nose; quite tart rather austere lightly phenolic bit earthy/washed-out very light flowery/GV/appley
flavor; med.short light GV/flowery/appley rather tight/lean/austere lightly phenolic flavor w/ very light tannins;
not a lot of phenolic character but not a lot of GV fruit either; a sort of Oakland wine and a bit washed-out.
$26.95 (BDWC)
mousey fairly earthy/loamy strong toasted marshmallow/herbal quite weird nose; lightly petillant herbal/toasted
marshmallow bit funky/mousey toasted/charred flavor; med.long pungent/toasted marshmallow/herbal dry tart
frizzante slight mousey/funky finish; no CheninBlanc character that I can detect; a rather peculiar/pungent
PetNat "natural" wine but also kind interesting; way overpriced at $38.50 (BA)
skin-contact bit sewer gas/cesspool very strange; med.long soft/fat rather gassy pungent/smoked hotdogs/home perm
finish; lots of tiny bubbles forming all sorts of fractal patterns on the surface; a very strange wine and not
particularly attractive but since it is a "natural" wine, I guess I'm supposed to like it. $24.95 (BDWC)
lightly phenolic/skin-contact/resiny slight appley/floral/apple blossom finish; a somewhat skin-contact light
but not a lot of fruit. $22.95 (BDWC)
Malvasia but just that; fairly priced at $19.95 (BDWC)
phenolic/earthy flavor; very long light flowery/grapefruity/waxy bit tangy/metallic slightly washed-out finish;
a pleasant if a bit rustic wine but not one of the better examples of Pinella. $29.95 (BDWC)
tannins; very long light phenolic/resiny some flowery/Friulano/appley/apple blossom bit stony/earthy finish w/
light tannins; a skin-contact light w/ nice balance of TF fruit & phenolic character; quite a nice/interesting
white. $24.95 (BDWC)
quite phenolic/skin-contact/resiny bit graham cracker/earthy very light peppery/RG finish w/ light tannic bite;
lots of skin-contact/phenolic character but some peppery/RG fruit hidden in there. $26.95 (BDWC)
light gentle/smooth tannins; very long very strong charred/burnt/oak some boysenberry/licorice rather earthy/loamy
finish w/ light smooth tannins; a bit too much burnt oak but lots of loamy Burgenland Red character; fairly
priced at $20.00 (BDWC)
light rough tannins; very long boysenberry/plummy/black cherry cola light earthy/rough classic Refosco finish w/
some rough tannins; a bit on the rustic side but plenty of Refosco/black cherry cola character; needs a few yrs
yet; very fairly priced at $24.95 (BDWC)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
More stuff from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. BlueDanube: Over the last few yrs, as I've tried more & more Austrian/Slovene wines, most from Calif &
Colorado; I've noticed that many I liked came from BlueDanubeWineCompany (www.BlueDanubeWine.com) out of
LosAltos. A few months ago, as I was tracking down some info on their WebSite, I noticed that you could
buy direct from BDWC. So I put together a case of interesting wines from Austria & Slovenia that I'd not tried.
These wines were that case. They have a VinoDanubia Club that you can join for a $49 that qualifies for free
shipping. That's a real deal and pretty much recooped that cost on this first order.
is a white variety that may be related to the pedestrian variety Verduzzo in Friuli. We had a PetiteBurja Zelen
2010 several yrs ago that was so tasty that we ordered a case of it. These are two varieties that are interesting
enough that they should be planting them all up&down the Coast in Calif.
at Vinoteka Brda in Dobrovo, they were setting up a BD party celebration for Jean-Michel that night. I had taken
in a Forlorn-Hope RibollaGialla to share w/ David (owner) and he brought Jean-Michel over to introduce us and
try the F-H. "It's different" he declared!! Alas, the next day he was leaving town & I was unable to do a visit
to Kabaj.
Savignonasse is the variety that used to be known in Friuli as TokajFriulano, but the term is now outlawed
by the EU.
Tom