The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Clos Bellane CdR Valreas Blanc 2015

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Clos Bellane CdR Valreas Blanc 2015

by Hoke » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Go out and find this wine.

Here's the gist of it:

Clos Bellane Valreas Blanc 2015 is a fat, glossy, flavor-saturated, aromatic winter white wine, perfect for these days of root vegetables and savory roasts and stews. A delightful melding of 65% Marsanne, 30% Viognier, and a savory touch of 5% Roussanne, the sum of the parts is irresistible. The wine fills the mouth; the perfume of dried apricots quite literally goes to your head, while the wine lavishes your palate with a melted buttery richness adroitly balanced and restrained with a distinct tang of salty minerality.

My personal notation on this wine is in the French, ‘tendre et sec’---which means, of course, more than a literal English translation of ‘tender and dry’ could convey. Undeniably dry---as in not-sweet---the magnificent plump fruit, butter and minerality combine to offer a densely textured, effusively aromatic, and exquisitely balanced wine.

At a surprisingly low 12.5% abv that belies its heft, and at a $17 SRP, this is an easy acquisition.
You can while away many a winter’s night basking in the warm glow of this Rhone winter white.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Clos Bellane CdR Valreas Blanc 2015

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Hoke, you are nicely focused on a style that I enjoy seeking out. Have various dry whites from S France that merit more attention but tough to know what to drink when one has over 80 whites in the cellar!!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:19 pm

You laid it on a bit thick with the fat, glossy and butter rich descriptors (perhaps posting after drinking?) but I too very much appreciate this style when it is balanced by salty minerality.

The only problem is finding good examples of the style.

And, the fact that there are so many other white wines that I want to drink!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:28 am

I love your TN, Hoke, but I'm not sure that I would like the wine. It all depends on the extent of that "distinct tang of salty minerality". I only got one hit on Wine Searcher for this wine in France at c.€14. I also note that it is sold in Belgium at c.€12 by Pierre Ghysens, my former mentor for Rhône wines, who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the region.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:59 pm

I am a tad wary about the fat, glossy and butter rich description but as I said enthusiastic about the note overall. I would cellar a while I think.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:48 pm

A bit thick? :D

Part of that description came from another person I was drinking with, by the way; so not just me that's thick. 8)

And seriously, this is coming from a guy who doesn't like vanilla-oak overlays and full throttle malolactic. This is neither.

This is a hefty wine, but skirts the edge of too big and blowsy---in large part because of that minerality, and yes, a sort of limey-salty character.

And wasn't Rahsaan the very one who coined that magnificent descriptor "lemon salted oyster shells", invoking minerality, brininess, and stark citrus in one stroke???

Look, its a big wine...but in now way overdone. It has enough acid to hold it together and contain the fruit. Yes, it's rich---but that richness comes primarily from the fruit. Would it feel better if I said "sun-saturated" fruit rather than buttery?

Gotta call 'em as I taste 'em, guys. And buttery it was.

I suspect all three of you guys would like this wine, albeit perhaps not to the extent I do. If you're familiar with that Valreas/Vinsobres high plateau, you know it can turn out some intense, concentrated wines. This is one of them.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:49 pm

And look: find it, buy it, try it.

Then come back here and tell me if I'm full of it. Or not.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:08 pm

You three guys!!!!..I am a eeerrrr follower of both Tim and Rahsaan so company is excellent. Just wish they were butterfly fans too :D .
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:51 pm

Hey, I was just teasing. It's great to communicate enthusiasm. And I'm sure I would like the wine. Will see if it ever crosses my path.