The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2012 Ridge Monte Bello - Pleasure of purity

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

rainer.volz

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:05 pm

WTN: 2012 Ridge Monte Bello - Pleasure of purity

by rainer.volz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:13 am

WTN: 2012 Ridge Monte Bello
What a wine, I fell in love with this one although I am not a fan of modern day reds from California.
It's so compelling in all its qualities, where should I start describing it? I think it is the purity of its fruit (somehow reminding of Romano Dal Forno), the terroir expression, density and depth, the overall balance and harmony that makes it unique to me. Even the oak flavor is of great class, it integrates just gracefully. Makes you happy, like a friendly Buddha smiling at you ..

Cheers, Rainer
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2012 Ridge Monte Bello - Pleasure of purity

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:51 am

Lovely note.

Buddha in a bottle! ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:54 am

Rainer, you captured the magic of Monte Bello beautifully. I'm not in their ATP club but I do get emails from the winery, and last week I got one announcing a special bottling of Monte Bello. I can't recall exactly what they named it but it was something like "Steep Vines Monte Bello", from a particularly magical plot within the already magical Monte Bello vineyard. Anyway, not a lot of barrels (nine?) were made of this, and bottles were available for sale for $175 each. I saw this offer exactly one hour and 58 minutes after the email arrived in my inbox, and it was already sold out.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

rainer.volz

Rank

Wine geek

by rainer.volz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Jenise wrote:Rainer, you captured the magic of Monte Bello beautifully. I'm not in their ATP club but I do get emails from the winery, and last week I got one announcing a special bottling of Monte Bello. I can't recall exactly what they named it but it was something like "Steep Vines Monte Bello", from a particularly magical plot within the magical Monte Bello vineyard. Anyway, not a lot of barrels (nine?) were made of this, and bottles were available for sale for $175 each. I saw this exactly one hour and 58 minutes after the email arrived in my inbox, and it was already sold out.

Jenise, I like your story. I congratulate those happy buyers of these rare bottles.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:22 pm

A good reminder! This is the year I get my first bottle of the "futures" club I joined awhile back!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

rainer.volz

Rank

Wine geek

by rainer.volz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:16 am

@Jenise, Brian: Would you know where I could read some tasting notes on this special "Steep Vines Monte Bello" bottling?
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:29 pm

I went to a Ridge dinner in Chicago last month, and they poured the '13 Steep Terraces in lieu of a Monte Bello. (How they spared any for a promotional event, I have no idea!) It's 100% Cabernet, and it was remarkable, but also hard to assess (for me); it was extraordinarily young, tight, and tannic, though it also somehow seemed to be in balance, and therefore promising. Still, I didn't bite when that email offer came, mainly because I'm trying to restrain myself this year after buying... let's say... "vigorously" in 2016... and we already have a few bottles of 2013 Monte Bello.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

rainer.volz

Rank

Wine geek

by rainer.volz » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks for your tasting notes, Patchen!
Cheers, Rainer