The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tasting at VinotekaBrda/Dobrovo/Slovenia..(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Tasting at VinotekaBrda/Dobrovo/Slovenia..(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Some more notes from my Europe trip in October.
Tasting at Vinoteka/Dobrovo in GoriskaBrda w/ David Lipovsek (10/7/16) and Tadej (10/8/16):
1. Scurek Rumena Rebula RibollaGialla (12.5%) 2015: Light yellow color; fairly peppery/RG/floral slight stony nose;
tart/tangy/metallic rather stony/chalky low-key peppery/RG/floral/carnations flavor; a pleasant/solid slightly
austere example of RG.
clearly a fair amout of exposure to oak; atypical of Brda SauvBlanc but a rather exotic/interesting wine.
character; rather on the hard/austere side & needs age.
skin-contact/resiny finish; speaks quietly of RG & seems a bit subdued/beat-down since the last time I
had it; nice balance os skin-contact phenolics and quiet RG fruit.
tannins; much more lush fruit and a quite attractive Refosco.

The next day (10/8/16) with Tadej, focusing on reds, we tried:
1. Vinska Klet GoriskaBrda Krasno rdece (40% CabFranc/30% CabSauv/30% Merlot; 13%; www.Klet-Brda.Si) Dobrovo 2013:
Very dark color; quite Cab/herbal/earthy low fruit some dusty/loamy nose; tart rather earthy/loamy/herbal/Cab
somewhat rustic little fruit/bit underripe flavor w/ light raspy tannins; a rather earthy/rustic/loamy Cab blend
but I didn't find it particularly unless compared to Slovene Rebula.
rustic rendition of PinotNoir some like those from the Val d'Aosta.
slight licorice/pungent/DrPapper complex beautiful nose; rather tart very strong cracked black pepper/black
cherry cola/pungent/licorice slight earthy/dusty very structured classic Schioppettino complex flavor w/
some hard tannins; needs more age; a beautiful expression of Schioppettino as you can find.
very ripe/round tannins; very much like a Recioto or LateHrvst Refosk; very intense boysenberry fruit and
really quite interesting.
the adjacent area of Friuli. We had no place to stay the next few nights, so stopped off at the TIC
(Tourist Information Center) in Dobrovo at the ancient castle there that stands atop the village. As they
are throughout Slovenia, the TIC's are a tremendous help. In a huge stroke of serendipity, right adjacent
in the courtyard to the TIC was the Vinoteka wine bar, where you could taste a variety of wines from
GoriskaBrda and nearby areas. The proprietor/owner is David Lipovsek, who proved to be very wine-knowledgeable.
I planned to taste thru a variety of local whites and then return the next day to taste thru some reds,
which I did with Tadej, also very knowledgeable. Vinoteka is an amazing place to taste thru a variety of
GoriskaBrda wines. Highly recommended. After Susan & the TIC lady lined us up a place to stay (Okrepčevalnica
pri Marjotu in nearby Gonjače...highly recommended B&B w/ very good food), she joined me below.
The VinotekaBrda WebSite: (www.vinotekabrda.si/en/) They have quite an extensive list of the producers in
the GoriskaBrda, most of whom I'm not familiar. I can't recommend VinotekaBrda enough. Unless you familiar w/
some of the Brda producers, this is the ideal place to start your exploration of the Brda region. They will
even set up appointments for you at the region's wineries. And outstanding find for me, all because of the
adjacent TIC Office.
I mentioned to David that I was packing a Calif RibollaGialla (Forlorn-Hope) and would he like to open it
to try. He was, of course, quite interested, so I hustled out to the car to retrieve it & get it chilled down a bit.
The Vinoteka is located in the cellar in the castle (which also includes a restaurant) that was built
in the 1600's. It had to be rebuilt in 1972 after an earthquake did a lot of damage.
As we were sampling and eating on a Prust platter, it was obvious that they were setting up for something
big that night, when Vinoteka was closing for a "special event". In another stroke of luck, Jean-Michel Morel,
winemaker at nearby Kabaj wnry, is having a BD celebration there that night. Jean-Michel, a Frenchman, married
into the Kabaj family and makes their wine. Often with skin-contact whites and in qvervi. David brings J-M over,
introduces us, and we chat a bit. J-M tries the F-H Ribolla and pronounces it "different", expresses that he
likes it, finds the acidity rather high. My impression was that David rather liked this rendition of RG.
The next day, we finished it up w/ Tadej and he also seemed to like it.
vnyd in Napa. Matt makes some very interesting wines, many of the whites w/ skin-contact, and would fit right
in there in the GoriskaBrda scene, cowboy hat and all.
stunning area to visit. Located between the beautiful SocaVlly to the East and the broad Pannonian Plain of Friuli
to the West, it has some beautiful steep hillside vnyds. I can see why many of the Friulian winemakers have
such a high regard for the grapes grown across the border in GoriskaBrda
are made/aged in 7' tall Georgian clay amphora. They are imported into USA by Old World Vines. I was impressed.
Tom