The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2004 Bordeaux futures?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Aamer Sachedina

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:20 pm

Ontario, Canada

2004 Bordeaux futures?

by Aamer Sachedina » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:31 pm

While local monopoly has been pushing the 2005 futures, I noticed that they are still selling 2004 futures. The prices seem to be a lot better. I'm thinking that I might get two or three 3 bottle lots for the cellar.

I'm looking for lots that will be representative of Bordeaux without breaking the bank. Would be nice to at least have one lot for long term aging and another one or two that will drink younger.

If you have any opinions on this list and the vintage in general I'd very much appreciate your input:

http://www.vintages.com/futures/ports-b ... _list.html

-Aamer
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: 2004 Bordeaux futures?

by Ian Sutton » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:53 pm

Aamer
Plenty to choose from and an opportunity to benefit from the hype surrounding 2005.

I've not tasted any of them in 2004 vintage (or 2005), so can't offer specific advice, except that in Bordeaux more than anywhere else, it's often worth searching out the middling vintages as the vintage reputation is (more than) factored into the pricing.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:07 pm

Those are great prices for Kirwan and Palmer, two favorites of mine. IMO, they're both more 'Margaux' than Chateau Margaux (which I wouldn't turn down either).

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Aamer Sachedina

Rank

Wine geek

Ontario, Canada

by Aamer Sachedina » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:33 am

After some back and forth I placed an order for a three bottle lot of 2004 Langoa-Barton. I had originally planned on the Leoville Barton but it was sold out.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:27 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Those are great prices for Kirwan and Palmer, two favorites of mine.

Agreed in the Palmer (not familiar with Kirwan). Aamer--the Parker rating they show on this is old news, Parker actually raised his rating to about 95 which is the same rating he's given to the 05 which is already selling in the U.S. for around $250. Not that $145 is a cheap wine, but it's priced below it's rating and relative quality--in a reclassification, Palmer should be a First Growth.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:52 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:Those are great prices for Kirwan and Palmer, two favorites of mine.

Agreed in the Palmer (not familiar with Kirwan). Aamer--the Parker rating they show on this is old news, Parker actually raised his rating to about 95 which is the same rating he's given to the 05 which is already selling in the U.S. for around $250. Not that $145 is a cheap wine, but it's priced below it's rating and relative quality--in a reclassification, Palmer should be a First Growth.

Kirwan...underperformed now "blessed" with consulting oenologist, new oak and very ripe grapes. I only drink it now in "lesser" vintages, so '04 might be a good deal.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:13 pm

I bought only Pavie-Mac, Leo-Barton, and Issan. I doubt that in an unhyped vintage many wines skyrocket, so mostly waiting to taste. The friend on whose rec I bought the Ch. d'Issan thought the Ch. Margaux was fantastic, but a little dear for me (even though a fraction of the 2005 version).
no avatar
User

Aamer Sachedina

Rank

Wine geek

Ontario, Canada

by Aamer Sachedina » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:49 pm

Jenise wrote:Agreed in the Palmer (not familiar with Kirwan). Aamer--the Parker rating they show on this is old news, Parker actually raised his rating to about 95 which is the same rating he's given to the 05 .

Alas $145 is still way too much for me at this point. Other than paying fo Parker and other critics own sites, any idea what a good place is to look for the most recent critic ratings on any particular wines? The best guideline I've got is Hugh Johnson's pocket wine book but often it is not specific enough as it lists the estate not necessarily the wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:06 pm

Aamer, well it IS a lot of money I agree. Speaking of Bordeauxs, though, that's something to shop in the US for if you travel here on business often. Our prices are typically about half Canadian prices on Bordeauxs.

Re ratings, there's no single site for all critics. And I don't subscribe to any of them myself, but one comes by a lot of it piecemeal like the ratings your LCBO included on these Bordeaux listings. Most of the ratings you'll see there are "the latest"--changes like Parker's on a wine not yet released are somewhat rare.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 am

UK and South Africa

by keith prothero » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:22 am

Smug old me was fortunate to pick up 3 cases of Margaux for less than 1100 pounds a case in bond. Latest price is now nearly double this,mainly due to the hype surrounding the 2005 vintage.
Doubt if I will drink any of it though------too tempting to take a profit and buy about 12 cases of something nearly as good. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:10 am

Keith, you sly dog. If I'd been that smart, that's what I'd do!