The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Anjou Blanc 1983

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Håvard Flatland

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 pm

Bergen, Norway

WTN: Anjou Blanc 1983

by Håvard Flatland » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:20 pm

Anjou Blanc 1983 Réserve du Fondateur, Vignobles Touchais, Coteaux du Layon, Loire, France.

Semisweet dessertwine on chenin blanc grapes. Around 50g/l residual sugar, 12,5% alc.

Golden light orange colour.
When opening there was a strong aroma of silo juice (the juice that runs off gras mixed with formic acid, used for winter feed for sheep, goats etc). With some time it subsided and there were smell of overripe apples, wet wool and peach.
Sweet taste of peaches and marsipan with nice balancing acid. Long tangerine like aftertaste . Good wine. Bought in Sweden at a reasonable price.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: Anjou Blanc 1983

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:04 pm

Havard, (sorry fore the misspelled name) I grew up on a farm and know the smell you refer to well, I never heard it called silo juice, but I know exactly of what you speak. I have not said it yet but welcome to the group. With this post, I am wondering if you too grew up on the farm with a lot of animals that had to be fed every day, and usually twice.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Håvard Flatland

Rank

Wine geek

Bergen, Norway

by Håvard Flatland » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:10 pm

Thank you Bob.

No, I have not grown up on a farm. But my uncle has a farm, and we used to visit him every summer, so I will not forget that smell. Don't know what else to call it, though.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:09 pm

I can relate to silo juice well enough. I just always thought of it as fermenting silage. Funny though the animals love it, but AFAIK never got intoxicated from it.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:12 am

Havard, is this wine the same as Moulin Touchais??
no avatar
User

Håvard Flatland

Rank

Wine geek

Bergen, Norway

by Håvard Flatland » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:39 am

Well Bob, It appears to be the second wine of Moulin Touchais, but only produced this year. I have tried to find more information about it, but it is not easy. The Swedish importer must have a good relationship with the Touchais', because they have 8 vintages of Moulin Touchais for sale. Here in Norway we only get the latest, which is at the moment 1993.