The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: MauroMolino Barbera d'Alba '15...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: MauroMolino Barbera d'Alba '15...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Shared this w/ John ystrday afternoon:
1. Viticoltore MauroMolino DOC: Barbera d'Alba (14%; www.GiulianaImports.com; www.MauroMolino.com) LaMorra 2015: Med.dark color; strong very spicy/fragrant/Barbera/spicy/fenell seed/Italian sausage light smokey/oak bit earthy/dusty lovely/perfumed nose; soft rather rich/lush very spicy/Barbera/Italian sausage light smokey/oak some earthy/dusty flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long/lingering soft/rich/lush/mouthfilling very spicy/bit peppery/Barbera/Italian sausage/Italian dried herbs/bit blackberry some dusty/earthy light smokey/oak finish w/ light smooth tannins; speaks strongly of Barbera but not have that tart/lean/teeth-chattering acidity most show; some like Amador Barbera (Easton), some like the old Montevina Barberas of the '70's w/o the alcohol; a bit atypical of Piemonte Barbera because of the rich/lush character but a beautiful Barbera at a great price. $16.00 (Prima IlC)
1. This was from my Prima IlConsorzio shipment that arrived last week. Since John is a big Barbera fan, I knew I must share this w/ him. The wine is imported by SteveLewis's GiulianaImports in Boulder, who has an excellent Italian portfolio. Usually, I get these wines here in NM or up in Boulder, so I was surprised to find it in my IlC shipment.
Typically, Barbera d'Alba are bigger/broader Barberas than those from Barbera d'Asti...and this fit that mold. One of the better Piemonte Barberas I can recall of late.
This is not a producer w/ whom I've had much experience. I shall look out for more of his wines.
Tom