The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Loire, Tuscanny, and Piedmont

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Loire, Tuscanny, and Piedmont

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:52 am

Wines opened an hour or so earlier, but my decanters are sitting in a friend's kitchen, so....Food was my experiment: Great A.G. Ferrari dried pasta cooked with commercial tomato-based sauce (good basil-based sauce) augmented with roast chicken and a fantastic garlic-mozzarella-olive oil paste.

Domaine Fouet Saumur Champigny 2003 14% ABV.

WOTN For Me. Certainly a lot of rich, ripe red fruit. But, also the Green Pepper you guys have been talking about/warning me about. Still-this is not a one dimensional raw bell pepper wine-there is that nice fruit and some great French savory notes that make me think that I may want to explore Loire Cab Franc a little more thoroughly??? Solid ***+

Ruffino Riservo Ducale Oro Chianti Classico Riserva 2001

A decent Chianti Riserva. Inky black in the glass. Not a lot of nose. Good chianti acid, red fruit, just a hint of leather and tobacco. A solid wine, but at this price point ($30+), I would probably rather drink the Luiano or for $10 more even the fantastic Riecine Chianti Classico Riserva from the same year. Given it's competitiuon, I would only rate this **1/2, although it is a perfectly fine large production CCR. That's the problem, experience makes you too picky. 8)

Cascina Val Del Prete Barbera d"Alba.

What an outstanding fruity everyday drinker. $16 at A.G. Ferrari. Not particularly complex or unusual or intellectual-just nice red fruit with a kick of acid to complement the red sauce based food. WHoever in the food forum said my friend's significant other would enjoy this wine was spot on. Solid ***.
Last edited by Brian K Miller on Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTB: Loire, Tuscanny, and Piedmont

by Sam Platt » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:51 am

Brian,

You may want to correct your title so that your note can be searched. I first thought that you wished to buy wines from these areas.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:25 pm

OOPS :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:49 pm

Finding good Loire cab. franc always seems dicey. I also am not exposed to it enough. It also seems that they don't do a good job of marketing their juice the way the rest of the big regions (Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone, and Alsace) do. Heck, even Languadoc and the Southwest of France do a better job than the Loire. Yet, the Loire produces wines that are as subtle and excellent as anything produced in the other major regions. I wish I could find more good Loire cab. franc, but for now, the Rhone seems the best value.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.