The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Clarksburg Wine Company

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Clarksburg Wine Company

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Was bored, so cruised up to Sacramento on Saturday. I have NEVER seen the "Yolo Bypass" flood control system (basically a large flat area west of Sacramento used to store flood waters during peak season) so high! I wonder if the fancy houses along Garden Highway are actually flooding...it does not look like many of them have a backyard anymore.

Anyway, after getting a short bicycle ride in before the 20 hours of rain started, I headed down to the Old Sugar Mill. Clarksburg Wine Company always surprises me. They have some iffy stuff, but they nail certain wines.

2012 Petit Sirah. You can taste the American Oak, but the spiciness actually complements the earth and savory "blueberry" notes of this wine. I quite enjoy PS from this region, and CWC always comes through.

2013 Cabernet Franc "LS". This is their lean "Loire Style" version of the varietal-aged in stainless steel! I can see this wine as being controversial for those who hate Pyrazines! Very lean and bright, with cherry fruit, plenty of bell pepper, and spice. I can see this cutting right through some richer foods!

2015 "Delta White" Chardonnay and Chenin Blanc. I was skeptical, but you know, at $14, this would be an amazing picnic wine. Bright and savory and quite tangy!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Clarksburg Wine Company

by Jenise » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:20 pm

Not a winery I recall hearing about before, so thanks. Btw, if you were Bueker, you'd have named this Last Train to Clarksburg. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Clarksburg Wine Company

by Brian K Miller » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:12 pm

I can't even attempt to compete with The Bueckernator. :lol:

CWC was actually one of the core founders of the Clarksburg Sugar Mill project and is a leader in promoting the area's wines. Not as ubiquitous as Bogel, but they are not a small producer.

I have an odd love for old brick industrial architecture, so I am thrilled to see the buildings being used. This was a huge place, and they still have plenty of room for expansion. The one issue is there is no real urban water system in the area, and this limits restaurants and larger projects.

Some of their wines can be surprisingly good! Them and Due Vigne are the two in the Sugar Mill I am partial to.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach