The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for March 2017: Wines of Spain

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

Re: Wine Focus for March 2017: Wines of Spain

by Joe Moryl » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Since Bob brought this thread up again, thought I would add another recent Spanish TN:

2010 Phincas, Rioja, Bodegas Bhilar:

While great traditional Riojas like those from Lopes de Heredia get much notice from US wine lovers, it seems that there are some younger producers in the region that want to make terroir wines, not so heavily marked by the traditional oak aging regimens. Bihlar is one such project of David Sampredo Gil, who seeks to find wines expressing the limestone, higher altitude vineyards of Elvillar, Rioja Alavesa (Bhilar is apparently Elvillar in Basque).

This comes from 35-100 year old organically cultivated grapes, 70% Tempranillo, 15% Graciano, 10% Garnacha and 5% Viura aged 36 mo. in neutral French oak. Very dark red with violet tints, looks young for a 7 year old wine. Doesn't start out that well, seeming hot and greenish, but after a couple hours that passes, and the nose becomes sweet and herbal. Concentrated, brambly fruit with some licorice and herbs, there is a great structure of ripe tannins and a nice finish. Really fine Rioja that should age well, makes me want to try other wines from this bodega. 13.5% abv, $19.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 pm

No reason why not to feature this thread so thanks Joe. Your Crianza sounds like a red I would enjoy.
Are you a Monte Real fan? I am.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:29 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:No reason why not to feature this thread so thanks Joe. Your Crianza sounds like a red I would enjoy.
Are you a Monte Real fan? I am.

Monte Real? Is that a Bodegas Riojanas wine? I don't think I've ever had it.
The Phincas is not really a Crianza. The bodegas that are going for a more terror driven style (might include Artuke, Juan Carlos Sancha, etc.) don't tend to follow the traditional Crianza, Reserva, Gran Reserva hierarchy.
Previous