The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Craggy Range, Chasse Spleen, Farneto, Pegau, Sabon etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Craggy Range, Chasse Spleen, Farneto, Pegau, Sabon etc

by Jenise » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Wines at home over the past week:

2014 Viña Cobos Chardonnay Felino Mendoza
Very Californian. Tropical fruit ripeness barely held in check by good acidity. Decent but not worth $20.

2000 Chasse Spleen Bordeaux
An excellent showing. Perfect middle-age with dark cherry fruit and Chasse's typical femine, floral nose. Not decanted initially, but did find enough fine silt toward the end to clean the last third of the bottle with a coffee filter. Should cellar well for years to come.

2014 Casalfarneto Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Fontevecchia
Very pale gold, refreshing nose of white flowers, honeydew and red apple skin with roussane-like flavors on the palate and a pleasing salinity. Would definitely buy again.

2007 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Olivets Red Rhone Blend
Heavy with alcohol and ripe sweetness. In a good place for current drinking but one has to be more tolerant of this hot vintage stuff than I am to truly enjoy this.

2008 Craggy Range Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard Red Blend
Deep purple color, vibrant cab-esque nose but surprisingly tight and primary on the palate like a new release--no bottle age development at all. Needs more time.

2015 Domaine la Rocalière Tavel Le Classique Red Rhone Blend
En pointe deep color. Rose petal aromatics and satisfyingly dry notes of cherry and fennel on the palate. Superb.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov