The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: JC Cllrs Syrah MusciVnyd '09...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: JC Cllrs Syrah MusciVnyd '09...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:55 am

Tried this last night w/ my leftover pasta al forno:
1. JC Cllrs Syrah MusciVnyd/AlexVlly (15.8%; www.JCCellars.com) JeffCohn/Oakland 2009: Very dark/near black color w/ slight bricking; rather alcoholic/fumey very strong boysenberry/Syrah/very ripe strong toasty/charred/Fr.oak some licorice/loamy nose; quite soft/mushy/porky fairly hot/alcoholic/fumey very ripe/Syrah/boysenberry some toasty/Fr.oak flavor w/ light ripe/smooth tannins; long very ripe/boysenberry/jammy/Syrah fairly hot/alcoholic/fumey light licorice/pungent/loamy/earthy soft/porky finish w/ light ripe/smooth tannins; tannins are fully resolved but all that's left is a hot/alcoholic/overripe mess of a wine.
1. I have, of course, followed JeffCohn from the very start...when he was winemaker for KentRosenblum. I used to belong to his WineClub, but dropped out a number of yrs ago because too many of his reds were evolving into wines like this. He does make a VentanaVnyd Syrah that I like quite a lot. In June when I'm out there, I must go by his tasting room and see what he's doing these days.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: JC Cllrs Syrah MusciVnyd '09...(short/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:35 pm

I was briefly a club member-a fun guy and the parties were enjoyable, but agree that they are not the thin, acidic, funky IPOB wines I usually prefer. :oops: :roll: :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach