The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Marquis d'Oriac (Appellation Gaillac Contrôlée)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2002 Marquis d'Oriac (Appellation Gaillac Contrôlée)

by Paul B. » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:10 pm

This Gaillac, which is a blend of Duras, Syrah and Fer Servadou, was aged in barriques for 12 months. The label states "Vignerons de Rabastens" and has a drawing of la Mairie de Rabastens, which suggests to me that the wine may be a co-op effort.

12% alc. Medium-dark but clear garnet hue; wintery sumac colour towards the meniscus. Bright tart red fruits mingle with white pepper on the nose; the wine conveys a sense of brightness. A bit of smoky oak is noted, but it is discreet and adds to the overall bouquet without sticking out. Brightly crisp on the entry with tart, expansive acidity; fleeting hints of white pepper and strawberry dash across the palate, which displays a light-bodied structure and a hint of grippy tannin. Properly dry, the wine is more tart than astringent; it calls out for food. Peppery-berry flavours follow onto the finish, which is brisk, dry, and a bit short.

I don't know much about the Gaillac appellation, but given the usual heft of reds from that area, I wonder if 2002 wasn't a weaker-than-average vintage. This wine is enjoyable and tasty - it simply lacks some concentration and power.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Day Two

by Paul B. » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Well, it's day two - and the wine sure has come together. Many a red really does better with a day (and sometimes two) of aeration; especially so as to let the oak integrate. Today, the oak is somewhat more prominent than yesterday, but in a more balanced and integrated way, showing as a gentle overlay of smoky vanillin. Darn ... normally if it's just me, a whole bottle lasts me three days. This one went in two!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca