The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ameal Loureiro

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Ameal Loureiro

by Saina » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:00 pm

It went above 10° C today so we can skip spring and say that summer arrived. That requires some type of white fish with a very simple white wine and mushroom sauce and some light, delicate white wine in the glass. I have always liked Vinho Verde though the good ones have been difficult to find here in the cold dreary north. But I saw a surprise on the shelf of an Alko today: Quinta do Ameal Vinho Verde Loureiro 2015. I remember Ameal as being one of the good ones. Not even the Robert Parker 94 Points -sticker was enough to deter me. It’s about 15€ here, has about 11,5% abv and is a varietal Loureiro, It’s a fun wine and goes perfectly with a simple fish and mushroom dish that requires something delicate but acidic that certainly won’t overpower what is still a pretty delicate meal.

The first slightly odd thing is that is smells very ripe. The whole charm of VV is its high acidity combined with fleeting, gentle glimpses of pure fruit. But mostly it’s the structure and lightness that I so like. But the odd thing here is that it has all that slightly off-beat charm of high acidity, minerality and citrus, but it combines that with genuinely ripe and aromatic fruit of the un-fleeting kind. Hmmm. It is very sniffable and very tasty and very moreish so perhaps I need to refresh my idea of what VV is. On my negative to positive infinity scale this certainly gets a solid +110 points from me. It gives me the same sensations as the best Muscadets except the fruit isn’t so neutral. I like it, though it might not be the most typical VV.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Ameal Loureiro

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:03 am

Always a go-to wine in my opinion but as you say not a typical VV.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:06 pm

Otto - thanks for a report on this. Ameal is one of the places I visited in the Minho in 2012. It is a lovely setting, the wines are well made (organic viticulture, BTW) - it is a green oasis almost hidden away near the banks of the Rio Lima. It appears they have renovated some old houses on the property for lodging since my visit. Could be a convenient place to stay if one wants to do some walking in the Peneda-Gerês national park.

While I love the low alcohol, cheap spritzy VV on a hot summer day, the region really has a lot of producers making the more serious versions. Some are monovarietal wines from grapes like Loureiro, Alvarinho or Avesso (and the VV region has sub regions where these grapes are said to be best - Lima, Monção and Baião for the grapes I've listed), some are blends possibly including grapes like Trajadura, Azal, etc. Near Newark, we certainly get a somewhat better selection of these wines than most places in the US due to the large Portuguese immigrant community. The Anselmo Mendes Loureiro is also worth trying if it comes your way - very cheap here, under $10.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks Joe for imput, remember the Mendes I posted on late last year? Have a couple more ready to go.

2015 Anselmo Mendes Vinho Verde Muros Antigos, Portugal.

$20 Cdn, new on the shelf downtown, 12.5% alc. Good natural cork.

Light lemon color, aroma shows lime, apricot and the usual mineral tone. "Grapefruit" from across the table and neighbor thought she found it quite dry. Indeed it was on entry, wine shows customary bold firm acidity, more citrus, no effervescence. The lemony flavors and the minerality enhance the lingering finish which is not all that complex but I enjoyed it eventhough not the best food match.