The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Saint-Emilion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 1998 Saint-Emilion

by Saina » Fri May 12, 2017 3:26 pm

One of the fun things about the new and ever so slightly improved Alko is that there is now more choice for us consumers and that importers have it slightly easier when trying to get wines for sale in Alko. One result is that some importers are starting to listen directly to what consumers want instead of listening to what Alko dictates. And apparently low to mid price Bordeaux with a bit of bottle age is something that a lot of people wished for.

I ordered some lamb to take home from a newish Syrian restaurant here and opened a Chateau Simard 1998 with it. Musar might have been the obvious choice but I haven't had a Bordeaux in ages (since as you may recall I find them just a bit boring these days - at least at the young age that have been available here). And with close to 20 years age it should be drinking well.

And I have to confess that at 30€ and this level of maturity, this was a very decent wine. If more semi-affordable Bordeaux with some bottle age were available I would actually drink some. This had lovely ripeness but also a proper old school rusticity and even a touch of shite to bring interest. Deliciously light, not heavily extracted, not packed too full of everything and 12,5% according to the label all mean that this is very moreish and just what the lamb needed. Drinking beautifully just now but I think I might enjoy it in the future, too since I have some vinous necrophiliac tendencies, but I think now is a good point for most people to start opening these if this was a typical bottle. Have I now lost any hipster credentials I may have had since I'm praising a Bordeaux here?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.