The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Flying Goat PN (Rancho Santa Rosa)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2004 Flying Goat PN (Rancho Santa Rosa)

by Jason Hagen » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:45 pm

I had only tried a few Flying Goat wines. None of them being my own but were poured at various dinners. Nothing had ever grabbed me (but I never really focused on them) so I thought maybe I should avoid them lest I get sucked into buying another producer. Well at FMIII’s Pinot Falltacular I tasted the 05s and was very intrigued. Absolutely fantastic. So when I ordered my 05s I got 04 Holiday pack. The first one to go was the Rancho Santa Rosa. Here are my thoughts.

2004 Flying Goat Pinot Noir Rancho Santa Rosa (Santa Rita Hills)
I struggled to keep my nose out of the glass. I just kept pulling me back in. Slightly syrah like but plenty of SRH pinot brambly fruit in there. Very broad on the palate because a syrupy flavor (caramelish) but that did not hurt the wine. Bing cherry jumped through and had a nice stony finish. A big wine with good complexity and mild acidity. Not for someone searching for a delicate flower. Not to say this wine is without elegance but more on the muscular side. Drinks really well now. 92pts

If I enjoy the others as much as this one I may need to start figuring out who I can bump off the “must buy” list.

Cheers,
Jason