The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: weekend wine- Italians, Burg, Bdx, Champagne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: weekend wine- Italians, Burg, Bdx, Champagne

by Dale Williams » Tue May 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Friday was red snapper with a caper sauce, whole wheat couscous, & broccoli, with the 2002 Prieur-Brunet “Chevalieres” Meursault. I was of course ready for premOx, but this poured with a light color and didn’t show any oxidation at all. Light pear fruit, touch of vanilla, somewhat short and dilute. Drinks like a 3 year old negoce Bourgogne. I had to remind myself you can’t give a Meursault a B just for not being premoxed. C+

Then I went over to Alex’s where local wine group had theme of organic. BioD, or natural Italian wine. The starter was off-theme- 2015 Dolle Gaisberg Gruner Veltliner (Kamptal) Apple, peach, some white pepper, good acids. Not long or complex, but Alex said inexpensive. B-

Mostly blind, served with charcuterie , grilled sausages, and salads

2014 Saetti Lambrusco
Not hard to figure out rose Lambrusco. Sweet strawberry fruit (but fairly dry), lightly effervescent. Floral. Pretty fun. B/B+

2005 Radikon Jakot
I served this non-blind. Divisive. But to me, big, funky, fun. B+

2012? Poggeto Casaccia Grignolino
I got lucky to get grape on first guess - the floral notes over red (raspberry and strawberry) fruit led to a lucky guess. Good acidity, nice length B+

2015 COS Frappato
Mine so no guessing. Fred got wine quickly due to unusual bottle shape. Spicy, midbodied, fresh, B+

2011 Villa Malacari Conero
Pruney/stewy notes, some oxidation, maybe just overripe but I think this was heat damaged. C

(vintage?) Valle Reale Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
Fruity, cherry, a little hot. B-

2013 Vindimiam Rudi Teroldego
Good acids, snappy red fruits, good. B

Saturday we had clams and pasta and I thought I was opening a white Burgundy, cork was out before I realized it was the 2007 Santa Barbara Winery Chardonnay. Ripe yellow fruit, lots of movie theater popcorn butter, flabby, short, tired. C

Replacement was the 2013 Jean Louis Chavy Puligny-Montrachet (375 ml). Straighforward, good acids, a little spice and earth. B
Mother’s Day Betsy’s quartet did a concert for the group I run (and I had a speech at a local synagogue) so we were wiped when we got home. But we had invited couple where wife ran door at concert, luckily Betsy had done most of dinner that AM.

I did the appetizers - lonza on crackers and , smoked salmon on cukes
NV Moutardier Rose
Red fruits, citrus zest, lots of spice, very good for NV rose. B++

Pot roast, broccoli rabe, salad

2001 Ch. Bourgneuf (Pomerol)
Fairly ready, black plum and a little cocoa, good. B+/B

1996 Vignaioli (Pertinace) Vigneto Casellizzano Barbaresco
Good acids, still a bit of tannin, red cherry, earth, tar, mushroom. Fun but mature for a ‘96. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: weekend wine- Italians, Burg, Bdx, Champagne

by Jenise » Wed May 17, 2017 2:42 pm

What a rude awakening to expect white burgundy and get a ten year old Santa Barbara chardonnay from a warm vintage. I'm surprised you still had that around!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed May 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Did a lowball bid on a big mixed lot at auction. Just bid based on what I'd pay for the 2 bottles I was interested in (and maybe $15 more for the other 6 or so bottles)*. As Heritage offers free consolidated shipping to NY, worth a flyer (worse candidate is a '00 BV Coastal Chard!!!!). Took some wine home, thought I had put some Puligny in fridge, forgot that I changed mind and thought "better to leave the Santa Barbara Chard in fridge- if it goes to cellar I'll never bring it back up."
Same deal with the '02 white Burgs I posted on recently, just based bid on bottles in mixed lot I actually wanted.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Did a lowball bid on a big mixed lot at auction. Just bid based on what I'd pay for the 2 bottles I was interested in (and maybe $15 more for the other 6 or so bottles)*. As Heritage offers free consolidated shipping to NY, worth a flyer (worse candidate is a '00 BV Coastal Chard!!!!). Took some wine home, thought I had put some Puligny in fridge, forgot that I changed mind and thought "better to leave the Santa Barbara Chard in fridge- if it goes to cellar I'll never bring it back up."
Same deal with the '02 white Burgs I posted on recently, just based bid on bottles in mixed lot I actually wanted.

Just got a flyer from Heritage in the mail yesterday; I've never dealt with them before. Good?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed May 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Probably auction house I deal with most over last 3-4 years. Mostly with the internet auctions, which have more offbeat stuff. Good service, accurate descriptions. They offer free shipping to NY, and the destination happens to be my offsite, so convenient for me. I'm seldom bidding on trophy stuff, but they have a pretty good rep as far as not selling questionable stuff (it astounds me that people still support Acker).
Senior staff have good reps. I've only met Frank (senior guy) in passing , and met Amanda at Heritage's fun blind tasting challenge last year. But I see Ian at NYC offlines , a good guy and he was respected as top wine guy at Wine Library for years.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Last auction I put out about 17 mostly lowball bids, won 4. '78 Tig, '05 Drouhin Mouches, 98/02 Heitz BO, and one weird mixed lot:
Chateau Rabaud Promis
2003 Sauternes lscl Bottle (1)
Pommard
1991 Les Rugiens, J.M. Bouley bsl Bottle (1)
Chateauneuf du Pape
1979 F. Chauvenet (3.5cm), bsl, hnl, scl, nc Bottle (1)
Brunello di Montalcino
2004 Fattoria La Lecciaia 1nl Bottle (2)
Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon
2004 Alpha nl Bottle (1)
I wouldn't normally bid on Chilean CS, but my bid ($120 plus vig) was I figured fair for the Burg, Sauternes, and Brunello, so Montes Alpha and CdP was just potential bonuses. I don't mind gambles at $20 plus premium, one great showing makes up for several duds.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 18, 2017 11:19 am

Dale Williams wrote:I wouldn't normally bid on Chilean CS, but my bid ($120 plus vig) was I figured fair for the Burg, Sauternes, and Brunello, so Montes Alpha and CdP was just potential bonuses. I don't mind gambles at $20 plus premium, one great showing makes up for several duds.

Works for me--the 'grab bag' aspect is actually kind of fun. I'll have to take a look at their offers. (The flyer I received wasn't trying to get me to buy, but rather sell.)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu May 18, 2017 1:53 pm

I got 2 copies of that letter looking for consignments (or outright purchases) Monday. If you haven't done business with HA.com before and got, I bet they purchased a mailing list, and neglected to sort for duplicates with their own list.
In any case friends I know who have consigned have been happy.
I've only been a bidder.