The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Birthday dinner w. '02 Dönnhoff, two GC Burgundies....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Birthday dinner w. '02 Dönnhoff, two GC Burgundies....

by Tim York » Sun May 21, 2017 2:31 am

For my birthday early in May, Germaine invited my daughter and son-in-law and cooked a lovely meal consisting of giant shrimps with asparagus in a cress sauce, stuffed quails surrounded by grapes and a Russian dessert called Paschka made principally from white cheese and candied fruit. The occasion called for a few wines of fine pedigree.

2002 Dönnhoff Schloßböckelheimer Kupfergrube Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (5/7/2017)
Absolutely delicious. Nose expressively fragrant showing white fruit, flowers and gentle spice with a hint of hydrocarbon. Palate medium/light bodied; seamless and perfectly balanced between elements of fruit, gentle sweetness, minerals, spice, mouth-watering acidity with creamy undertow and some backbone on the finish. Excellent.

1995 Domaine Philippe Charlopin Clos St. Denis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos St. Denis Grand Cru (5/7/2017)
Lovely ripe and classy medium/full bodied Burgundy with fine Pinot aromas and fruit, velvety texture, some forest floor and minerals, good acidity and still some tannic firmness on the finish. Excellent.

1996 Jean-Marc Millot Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (5/7/2017)
Not quite so fine as the preceding Clos Saint-Denis and still quite youthful seeming but for a slight cabbage taint on the nose initially which soon blew off to reveal bright if slightly sour Pinot fruit. Body was medium+ at most and acidity was more prominent, though not astringent, and tannins less so than with the CSD, but the fruit was fresh and elegant with silky texture and quite marked minerality. Very good.

NV Pojer e Sandri Merlino Vigneti delle Dolomiti IGT - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Vigneti delle Dolomiti IGT (5/7/2017)
This is a fortified wine made from the Lagrein grape and brandy from Schiavia and Lagarino grapes. On the first evening, I found this too perfumed for my taste and quite strongly marked by vanilla aromas. A day later the exaggerated perfumes had become more discreet and complex allowing enjoyment of some rich chocolate tinged fruit but the vanilla notes still dominated the mid-palate and finish. Quite good.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Birthday dinner w. '02 Dönnhoff, two GC Burgundies.

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 21, 2017 7:15 am

Happy belated birthday! That's some great stuff. Need to grab an '02 Kupfergrube from my cellar soon.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun May 21, 2017 11:09 am

Indeed. A fine way to celebrate in style. With a nice international selection of wines and dishes!
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sun May 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Lovely, great way to celebrate a birthday..Glad you had a happy one...and wish you many more in the years to come..
jon
Jon