The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Impressive Lineup-Nothing Forlorn about these wines!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Impressive Lineup-Nothing Forlorn about these wines!

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 22, 2017 3:37 pm

After our bicycle ride on Friday, a friend (who I have contaminated with IPOB preferences :lol: ) and I stopped by the new "Outlands" tasting room in downtown Napa. `A very fine outlier in a sea of goopy alcoholic International Style wines, I will tell you. All three winemakers there are quite fine, ranging from veteran Tom Farella to newcomer Poe wines.

We, however, chose to do the Forlorn Hope lineup. And a nice choice it was.

Matthew's Chenin Blanc had that delicious savory/lanolin??? fleshy yet bright character. A delicious version-I know we should just buy French Loire wines, but I am patriotic sometimes! :lol:

The Fafreluches Gewürztraminer is unique! Very rich and floral on the nose, the wine is sleek and bone dry on the palate. Almost peppery!

The highlight, though, was the 2015??? Les Deux Mathieus Petit Sirah. This was a revelatory wine as to what lightly handled Petit Sirah can be. (Also the last vintage! :cry: ) There was a plush tone of polished blue fruit here, with a wet stone??? note and earthy character. Perfectly ripe at 10.7% abv or something like that. Just wow....So juicy and flavorful and belies the claim that wine needs to be 15% abv to be ripe.

All three participants in this tasting room make fine, and Braden, their new manager, does a bang up job enthusiastically showing the wines (he is definitely an IPOB guy) as well as being a cyclist and a surfer from San Diego!

A great addition to the downtown Napa scene.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: Impressive Lineup-Nothing Forlorn about these wines

by Mark S » Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

Brian K Miller wrote:The highlight, though, was the 2015??? Les Deux Mathieus Petit Sirah. This was a revelatory wine as to what lightly handled Petit Sirah can be. (Also the last vintage! :cry: ) There was a plush tone of polished blue fruit here, with a wet stone??? note and earthy character. Perfectly ripe at 10.7% abv or something like that. Just wow....So juicy and flavorful and belies the claim that wine needs to be 15% abv to be ripe.

Questions questions. I like what Matt is trying to do, even if he is not hitting it 100%.
Why is this the last Deux Matthieux?
And that alcohol content is simply weird, as his earlier Deux Mathieux's were typical Cali petite sirah levels: the 2009 is 15.9% and the 2008 was around 15%. But, yeah, these are great.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Impressive Lineup-Nothing Forlorn about these wines

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 23, 2017 11:39 am

Mark S wrote:
Questions questions. I like what Matt is trying to do, even if he is not hitting it 100%.
Why is this the last Deux Matthieux?
And that alcohol content is simply weird, as his earlier Deux Mathieux's were typical Cali petite sirah levels: the 2009 is 15.9% and the 2008 was around 15%. But, yeah, these are great.

My understanding is the Tenbrink family (vineyard owners) are using the grapes for their own bottlings? I may be incorrect???

Have no idea about previous high octane wines, but this was a lovely soft quaffer.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach