The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Field music

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Field music

by Mark S » Tue May 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Field Recordings, Tempranillo, Paso Robles, 'Dead End Ranch', 2013
Dark red color. Deep berry and dark plum aromas and palate, the petite sirah here feels outsized in influence. Simple in structure and ready to drink, this has enough acidity and a tactile finish with some paprika and spice to make an interesting wine to drink with food or by itself. 13.1% [tempranillo 82%, petite sirah 6%, graciano 6%, monastrall 6%] B+
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Field music

by Jenise » Wed May 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Last year I tasted the cab franc from Field Recordings (not sure of vintage). A local wine guy whose palate is usually in synch with mine recommended it for an all-cab franc tasting I was doing. It was ghastly--everything I hate about Paso Robles wines. That is, rather than taste true to any particular grape variety, they taste like each other with the same jammy, cooked strawberry flavors and a strange spice that smells more chemical than natural, like RAID bug spray. I'm wondering if that's your 'paprika'.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov