The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Italian Varietals...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some Italian Varietals...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed May 24, 2017 11:24 am

We tasted last night (5/17/17) Some Italian Varietals:
1. Ridge Primitivo LyttonEstate/DCV/SonomaCnty (14.4%; 42 brls; bttld 2/15; 89% Primitivo/11% PS; Drk: 11/14-
11/19-11/20: JO; 3.8% water addition) Healdsburg 2013
: Med.dark color; rather toasty/smokey/vanilla/Ridge oak
strong raspberry/Zin/spicy bit earthy/dusty classic Ridge Zin nose; quite tart/tangy strong raspberry/Zin/spicy
rather toasty/vanilla/Am.oak flavor w/ modest bitey/tangy tannins; long rather tart/tangy strong vanilla/smokey/
Ridge oak strong raspberry/Zin/spicy slight earthy finish w/ some bitey tannins; more like just another Ridge
ATP Zin on the level of Ponzo or Carmichael; not particularly distinctive from another Ridge Zin. $34.00 (ATP)
boysenberry some dusty/OV bit licorice/pungent more complex/different nose; bit softer rich/lush strong
blackberry/Zin/very spicy/black cherry some dusty/OV/earthy light vannila/oak bit licorice/pungent/RCCola
lovely flavor w/ modest ripe tannins; very long/lingering bit soft strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry/black
cherry cola light vanilla/smokey/oak some dusty/OV bit complex finish w/ modest smooth/ripe tannins; the best
Ridge Primitivo yet, some distinctive from their Zins and one of the best Calif Primitivos I can recall;
almost to the LyttonSprings level of quality. $34.00 (ATP)
boysenberry/blackberry/Zin/ripe/jammy quite dusty/OV bit herbal very strong toasty/oak very spicy quite
ripe nose; extremely tart/screechy/tangy very strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry some dusty/OV very ripe/jammy
flavor w/ some ripe/hard tannins; very long bit alcoholic very ripe/jammy/boysenberry/blackberry/Zin slight
earthy/dusty/OV strong toasty/oak very tart/acidic/screechy finish w/ modest ripe/hard tannins; loads of
ripe/jammy fruit but painful on the palate because of the screechy acidity correction. $21.00 (WH)
soft very strong burnt/charred/oak some plummy/earthy flavor w/ light bitey tannins; long quite charred/burnt/
oak some grapey/plummy/boysenberry bit earthy somewhat rustic finsis w/ light tannins; loads of charred oak
and not particularly distinctive or expressive of Montepulciano. $35.00
dusty/earthy/bit loamy beautiful perfumed classic LaCrima nose; rather tart rich/lush very strong black cherry
cola/DrPepper/quite spicy fairly earthy/dusty/loamy flavor w/ light ripe tannins; very long/lingering strong
black cherry cola/DrPepper/spicy/classic LaCrima light earthy/loamy finish w/ modest ripe/round tannins;
a beautiful classic expression of LaCrima at a stupid/silly price. $17.50 (CB)
strong black cherry cola/plummy/licorice light earthy finish w/ modest ripe/lush tannins; speaks of Lacrima
under all the oak; quite a nice red at a very fair price. $22.00
strong floral/lilacs/rose petal rather tart slight earthy finish w/ light ripe/tangy tannins; quite a lovely
expression of Calif Nebb. $45.00
slight metallic interesting nose; very tart/acidic/tangy rather earthy/dusty/rough somewhat bretty/unclean
rather Barbera/Italian herbs flavor w/ modest hard/rough tannins; very long somewhat unclean/bretty/horsecollar
rather rough/rustic fairly Barbera/Italian herb finish w/ rough/coarse/gritty tannins; speaks of a rough/
coarse/rustic Piemonte Barbera and no classic Chatus character to speak of. $20.00 (CB)
lilacs/violets/dried rose petal/Nebb light earthy/road tar/pungent light cedary/pencilly/oak very complex
flavor w/ light drying/bitey tannins; very long/lingering very strong floral/Nebb/violets/dried rose petal
some pungent/tarry/earthy light pencilly/oak very complex finish w/ light bit bitey/drying tannins; starting
to dry out a bit on the palate but lovely complex aromatics. $nc (SC)/$60.00
gentle tannins; very long/lingering very floral/rose petal/Nebb/violets/lilacs some pungent/tarry bit herbal/
earthy very complex finish w/ light slight angular tannins; a beautiful complex very floral Nebb and one of
the best from Calif; beautiful expression of Nebb. $nc (SC)/$90.00
nose; bit soft slight tangy/metallic plummy/grapey no Nebb/floral rather earthy/loamy simple/dull flavor w/
light soft tannins; med.short grapey/plummy earthy/loamy soft finish w/ light ripe tannins; dull as dishwater
and no Valtelline Nebb character to speak of; blame it on the Merlot I suppose; no bargain at $19.50 (KK)
loamy/root cellar nose; lightly tart bit alcoholic/hot very slight pungent/Nebb earthy/dusty simple/grapey dull
flavor w/ light ripe tannins; med.short bit alcoholic grapey/plummy earthy/loamy soft finish w/ light tannins;
a very dull red that speaks neither of Nebb nor the Valtelline; way overpriced at $49.00 (KK)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
More fake stuff from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. NinoNegri: These wines used to be as good as any from the Valtelline. I hadn't tried any in a good many yrs.
So when they showed up at Kokoman's, I thought I'd give them a shot. I was dreadfully disappointed. Two of
the dullest expressions of Valtelline Nebb that I can recall.
At one time, the NinoNegris were some of the best of the Valtelline Nebbs. As were the wines of Arturo
Pelizzatti, which were even better. A family dispute led to the selling of the label (only) to a Swiss group,
who folded it into the NinoNegri line. These wines are now owned by the Gruppo Italiano Vini conglomerate
(as in Constellation Brands). The grandkids of ArturoPelizzatti went on to found the ArPePe winery. As
grandaughter Isabella Pelizzatti-Perego says of the current Pelezzatti wines: "It became a crap wine."
In that area, they also make a dessert wine called Visciola, after the Visciola cherry variety grown in
that area. Made several different ways, it is a blend of Lacrima and cherry wine. Every example I've tried
has been exceptional...a real treat. With chocolate-covered cherries or a CherryMash..to die for. It would
be a no brainer for Calif. I've leaned heavily on MattRorick to make one as there's lots of PetiteSirah and
cherries in the SuisunVlly.
The Unti planting is the only one thus far in Calif that I know of. Alas, the vines are badly diseased
and don't yield well. BryanHarrington recently brought some Lacrima in to FPS, so there's hope for the
future if he can find someone crazy enough to grow it. It's a variety they should be planting all up&down
the coast of Calif.
then went on the trademark the Primitivo name as if it were a proprietary name. The Feds were clueless
that Primitivo represented a grape variety name. That trademark was eventually rescinded.
I've walked two vnyd that had Zin & Primitivo planted side-by-side. The vines certainly looked
different to my untrained eye. Supposedly, from what I'm told, Primitivo is a much more even ripener
and you don't get the wide variations in sugar level within a bunch that you do w/ Zin.
library Nebbs last year at NEB#6. They were mightly impressive. These two btls were leftovers from those
that Steve brought.
One of the things that most attracts me to Nebbiolo is that soaring/ethereal aromatics the variety can
show. These two Palminas showed that character that you only see glimpses of in Calif Nebb. The '04 was
starting to dry out on the palate but the '08 was just about perfect. Steve & Jim make some of the
consistently best Nebbs in all Calif.
Tom
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: Some Italian Varietals...(long/boring)

by Patchen Markell » Wed May 24, 2017 12:09 pm

I've had better luck with that '13 Unti Montepulciano than you did, though I think I prefer the Segromigno -- his 3:1 Sangiovese-Montepulciano blend -- which I believe sees less oak. And I don't remember ever seeing that Lacrima in Mick's newsletter or I would have tried it! Thanks for the notes...
cheers, Patchen