The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Mabileau Anjou Chenin Blanc.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Mabileau Anjou Chenin Blanc.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:52 pm

2012 Frederic Mabileau Anjou Les Rouilleres

Small plot, known as a good Bourgueil producer, 12% alc, good cork.
Verging on a light gold color. Wet wool for sure on the nose, apple, pear, no honey.
Initial entry thought is lacks some vibrancy and not a great finish. Did I hold on to this too long? Seems to lack balance generally, some sweetness on the finish but overall just so-so.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Mabileau Anjou Chenin Blanc.

by Tim York » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:49 am

Bob, I have enjoyed this cuvée in the past and would snap up a bottle if I saw one around, but just one experimentally at first given your experience. I wouldn't have expected 2012 to be too old already.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Anjou wines can go through some funny stages, more difficult to track than the chenins from further east in Touraine.

Plus, if I remember correctly, it was not the best year for whites in Anjou, a tad on the lighter side. Which can of course make for some delicious drinking wines (and I had a few over the years) but can also leave wines vulnerable to lacking vibrancy and having weak finishes.

I mostly had a small stash of the Pierre Bise wines and decided to finish them off. For better or worse.

In short, who knows!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks Tim and Rahsaan who has given us a fair account of 2012. I agree with Tim that this white should hold up nicely but it appears this did not happen. Guess we give Malibeau the benefit of the doubt.