The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Any one tried GRANT BURGE FILSELL SHIRAZ ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Aamer Sachedina

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:20 pm

Ontario, Canada

Any one tried GRANT BURGE FILSELL SHIRAZ ?

by Aamer Sachedina » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:29 am

The GRANT BURGE FILSELL SHIRAZ 2004 is just coming on sale here in Ontario.

The odd review I have seen suggests an aging potential of upto 15 years. At $29.99 CDN it seems like a reasonable price.

Anyone here had any experience with this or other vintages of this wine? Comments?
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: Any one tried GRANT BURGE FILSELL SHIRAZ ?

by Mike B. » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:55 am

I've had the '02 and '03 vintages and they were both good. I own some of the '04 but haven't opened them yet.

I'd say it's a good buy at that price. I've seen the 2004 going for as high as $38 here.

I have also read that the Filsell can age for 12 to 15 years, but I haven't tried any that old yet.

Here are my tasting notes on the '03 if you're interested:

Bouquet of blackberry, pepper and smoke - carries over to the palate. Rich, ripe fruits with earthy tannins.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Any one tried GRANT BURGE FILSELL SHIRAZ ?

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi Aamer,
I had it last week. It's a blockbuster, as to be expected from this label,

Grant Burge Filsell Shiraz 2004 - Barossa Valley
Dense, inky, blackberry red. It smells cedary, spicy, savoury and rich - hints of rubber indicate hot climate with warming alcohol, black fruits, dark chocolate and succulent blackberry and mulberry fruits that explode with their juiciness on the finish and balance the rich velvety tannins. Chicory root adds a bitter savoury character to the spices and balances the fruit sweetness then mint emerges to linger with chocolate, cherries and savoury oak on the long, powerful aftertaste. A cellar worthy wine with 14.5% alcohol by volume, according to the label. Fermentation was completed in a combination of French and American oak but it was matured in American oak casks. It costs about $34 in New Zealand.

Cheers,
Sue Courtney