The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Does industry funding jeopardize a major wine-health study?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Does industry funding jeopardize a major wine-health study?

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:25 am

The New York Times worries that it might, with regard to a major National Institutes of Health study that would track alcohol consumption and health in a large cohort over six years.

Is Alcohol Good for You? An Industry-Backed Study Seeks Answers
"The decision to let the alcohol industry pay the bulk of the cost has raised concern among researchers who track influence-peddling in science.

“'Research shows that industry-sponsored research almost invariably favors the interests of the industry sponsor, even when investigators believe they are immune from such influence,' said Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition and food studies at New York University who is the author of several books on the topic ..."

Full story in The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/well ... share&_r=0
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Does industry funding jeopardize a major wine-health stu

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:43 am

Might? More than might.

No peer review will be trusted.

Might as well let Jenny McCarthy fund a vaccine study.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:37 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Might as well let Jenny McCarthy fund a vaccine study.

Can we get Jill Stein in on that? :twisted:
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:03 pm

As somebody who does academic research for a living, I tend to be suspicious of stuff that looks like it might involve a conflict of interest, and that's my first reaction here too. But I also think this is a pretty poor story, because it leaves some very important questions unanswered, and instead stays at the level of circumstantial evidence. Which is itself a good argument against industry-funded research: its credibility will be undermined by even the appearance of impropriety.

For one thing, at certain points in the story, it sounds as if the study was planned, and the protocols designed, prior to the establishment of the mechanism for industry support. If that's true, it makes a big difference: I'd have fewer qualms about a two-layer system (NIH commissions a study first, then goes out and solicits industry $ to support it) from the sort of thing that the story mentions in other cases (industry association wants a study, goes and hires a scientist to conduct it).

For another thing, the story never actually says what people fear will go wrong with this study that is specifically associated with its funding source; they talk about the problematic lack of attention to gender differences in ethanol metabolism, for example, but they say this is consistent problem in NIH studies. (For my money, the more insidious problem is not whether the results of any particular study will be corrupted, but the fact that stuff will only get studied -- even if it's studied well and responsibly -- if funding can be attracted for it.)

They also don't get into the political background here. Why is the NIH -- a respectable government agency -- funding a study by setting up what seems like a fancy Kickstarter account for industry contributions? Maybe because the NIH has been hit very hard by reductions in the real value of government appropriations, as well as by the sequester, over the last 15 years. Same basic reason that "public" research universities now have to get the majority of their funding from private sources (and have ramped up tuition).

So, on the day that we USicans are all supposed to make cherry pie in honor of the tree cut down by the founding father who led the rebellion against unjust taxation (I think I'm remembering this right!), I'll just say: You want good science? Be prepared to pay for it. :D
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Well presented, Patchen. We'll have to wait and see what the study actually reports. Industry funding can influence the presentation of the results to the public - not the actual study report, but the framing of news releases. That's what I fear more than the actual study findings.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:09 am

It is very hard to secure objectivity in this kind of study. A government sponsored study in the UK into safe drinking was entrusted to
a committee consisting of anti
alcohol zealots. Unsurprisingly it came up with much stricter recommended ceiling of consumption than had previously applied. Anything official in France on the same subject is similarly tainted.

So in principle I welcome industry involvement. However funding from them will inevitably lead to discrediting the conclusion for many people.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:So, on the day that we USicans are all supposed to make cherry pie in honor of the tree cut down by the founding father who led the rebellion against unjust taxation (I think I'm remembering this right!), I'll just say: You want good science? Be prepared to pay for it. :D

Problem is, Americans want it all but don't want to pay squat for it. We'd rather pay low taxes and be dish-served corporate information that wants to be helpful to us. :P