The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Billiot Rosé NV (7 years post disgorgement)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Billiot Rosé NV (7 years post disgorgement)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:17 am

NV H. Billiot Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/3/2017)
May 2010 disgorgement, and it's time to drink up. It seemed to be past it at first, but 30 minutes of air, and warming from refrigerator temp brought out some red fruit, and pushed the aged character to the back. Sixty minutes in was even better, but I'll stay on the safe side, and drink up my last bottle of this disgorgement very soon.

It was a very nice match with my home made cold crab salad on a home made sesame seed, multigrain bun.

I did not try to pair it with the red butter lettuce & ginger salad with lemon-tahini dressing.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Billiot Rosé NV (7 years post disgorgement)

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:38 pm

Well I opened the last bottle on Saturday. Fantastic! Better safe than sorry I guess.

NV H. Billiot Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (11/18/2017)
A bottle of this exact same wine (May 2010 disgorgement) showed like the end of the road was in sight. This bottle (my last of a case) was in perfect condition, with lots of time left. The core was all fresh red cherry, and notes of wheat toast and spice added complexity. It was a truly delicious bottle, and a fine way to end the case.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:04 pm

All good things must come to an end. That rose is good every time we get a chance to have it!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:45 pm

The winery ran through a tough patch from about 2012-2015, but seems to be on the right track again. Generational transitions are not always smooth.