The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Allegrini ValpolicellaSuperiore '15...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Allegrini ValpolicellaSuperiore '15...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 pm

Tried this also on Sat night:
1. Allegrini DOC: Valpolicella Superiore (13%) Allegrini/Fumane/Veneto 2015: Very dark color; strong grapey/blackberry/boysenberry/Calif-like bit licorice somewhat earthy/dusty rather PasoZin-like/plummy/jammy quite attractive nose; lightly tart bit austere/hard/tannic strong blackberry/boysenberry/ripe bit dusty/earthy structured flavor w/ light hard/crunchy tannins; long rather hard/tannic strong blackberry/boysenberry/plummy some PasoZin-like some earthy/dusty finish w/ hard/chewey tannins; reminds a lot of a Paso Zin in aromas & flavors but much harder/structured on the palate; needs more age; attractively priced at $15.00 (KK)
1. Having tried the Harrington and Avanguardia Corvina in the last week and rather liking them, I realized I hadn't tried a Valpolicella in many a year, so thought it was time to give one a shot. Allegrini is, of course, one of the top producers.
I recall the Valpolicella's of 30 yrs ago as being rather thin/lean/light and on the coarse/rustic side. It appears mordern winemaking has come to Valpolicella. I would descrive this wine has being made in a modern/rather international style. But at least they didn't slather it in new oak, to their credit. I think I enjoyed more, though, the Harrington & Avanguardia, which I would describe as "lively & refreshing".
Tom
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: Allegrini ValpolicellaSuperiore '15...(short/boring

by Patchen Markell » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

A decade ago I had a mild infatuation with Valpolicella, which started with Allegrini, easily found in shops and on wine lists, but then proceeded to other makers, especially Bussola, whose unoaked "BG" bottling I really loved, and drank a lot of for a few vintages. It was less slick, more characterful, than the Allegrini, without being "rustic" -- even, I think, by your rather demanding standards! But I haven't seen it in this market for many years; I don't know if the BG is even produced any more.

(For several years it was our preferred red with our May 1 meal of favas, salumi, and young pecorino.)

I think that wine led directly into our intetest in Lagrein, Teroldego, etc.

I should try the Allegrini again too. Your note makes it sound a lot more unforgivingly tannic than I remember it being!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTN: Allegrini ValpolicellaSuperiore '15...(short/boring

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Back in the 1980s I was really fond of Boscaini's Valpolicella. It, and several others, had a distinctive regional character to them. Unfortunately I haven't seen Boscaini wines in New England in years. I've been disappointed by the Valpolicellas that I've had recently. They are all made in a generic, international style. They are tasty wines, but they don't have any Valpolicella character to speak of--they could come from anywhere.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Awwww..

by TomHill » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Back in the 1980s I was really fond of Boscaini's Valpolicella. It, and several others, had a distinctive regional character to them. Unfortunately I haven't seen Boscaini wines in New England in years. I've been disappointed by the Valpolicellas that I've had recently. They are all made in a generic, international style. They are tasty wines, but they don't have any Valpolicella character to speak of--they could come from anywhere.

-Paul W.

Awww, Paul...don't be such a stick in the mud!! :roll:
I agree...this Valpolicella could have come from anywhere. Terroir?? Not that I could find.
Tom