The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Heat wave wines- roses, whites, & 1 red (a Trousseau)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Heat wave wines- roses, whites, & 1 red (a Trousseau)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:28 pm

No wine Monday (stewed tofu, mushrooms) but Tuesday friends invited the hound and I to dinner. The dogs had rawhide while we started with lonza wrapped around fig and parmesan, and the 2016 Ch. de l’Eperonniere Rose de Loire. Unsure of cepage, but nice spicy red fruit with a touch of herbiness. Light and easy. B

First course was Rhode Island style clam chowder (no cream, no tomato), with the
2014 Guillerault-Fargette “Les Panseillots” Sancerre. Lemon, grass, and gooseberry, moderate acids, modest length. B-

Main was grilled (line caught) swordfish with a fruit salsa, asparagus, and salad. Wine was the
2015 de Villaine Bouzeron Aligote. Richer version this vintage, full but balanced, citrus with saline mineral notes. B++

Wednesday was a scorcher, but it was actually fairly pleasant in the shade with a breeze at the river concert (good crowd).. Lobsters were on sale at Stew Leonard’s so I made a citrusy lobster salad to share, and carried pate, lonza w/figs again, stewed tofu, melon, and charred leeks. Others shared grilled beef, wheatberry/feta salad, salami, and more.

2011 de Courcel Bourgogne blanc
Softer rounder style, hazelnut and honey, ok. B-

2016 Ameztoi “Rubentis” Txakolina rose
Just a hint of petillance, strawberry and raspberry, intense lime zest notes, seaspray. In past I haven’t been so impressed with the rose but this is a buy again. B+

2016 Cazin Cheverny rose
Bright, lively acids, cherry with a nice hint of bitters, fun. B+

2014 Domaine Grand Trousseau (Cotes du Jura)
Light, nicely tart, very floral with raspberry fruit. I enjoy. B+/B

I missed vintage on Ostatu Rioja rosado but it didn’t seem very fresh, maybe it’s last year’s 2015. Spiky, a little heat, tired strawberries lying on the ground. C+/C

Lots of fun with friends despite heat.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Heat wave wines- roses, whites, & 1 red (a Troussea

by Jenise » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:07 pm

You made me go back and look at my notes on Ostatu Rosado. I bought the '14s which in '15 on release were harshly acidic and out of balance. I put them away for the summer of '16 when they emerged pretty perfect--and exceptionally spicy.

You surprised me with Rhode Island clam chowder. So no cream or tomato, just broth?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Heat wave wines- roses, whites, & 1 red (a Troussea

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:08 pm

I think this actually might be the '14 Ostatu, I see the local store carries it. Even in a good store it's not cellar temp, so maybe more advanced than yours last year.

Ron is the R-Islander, says lots of people use carrots but he finds too sweet, think recipe probably pretty close to this . For me, clam/bacon bliss.

Oops, said close to "this", and forgot to paste link. Edited to add
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... am-chowder