The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2014 von Othegraven 2010 Karthäuserhof auction wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 2014 von Othegraven 2010 Karthäuserhof auction wines

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:30 pm

After last night’s trip to the Rheingau, staying in the Saar/Ruwer tonight was much more familiar. Oh the many faces of German riesling.

2014 von Othegraven Kanzemer Altenberg Spätlese Auction
Starts off slightly thick and dull, made me think of the Amped-up Auction wine mode. But with air it very quickly relaxes and hits its stride. Sweet ripe fruits (right now in a juicy orange apricot peach register) but with an underlying brisk Saar drive, plus poise that reveals the pedigree. I’ve been drinking more of the von Othegraven GGs recently, and am out of practice with the off-dry ones. Clearly I need to prioritize drinking all of their offerings.

2010 Karthäuserhof Auslese #43 Auction
Here we are in a different register. The apricots are dried and the fruit is sweeter and more intense. But there is also a razor sharp slice of acidity and freshness that is not at all jarring (at least to me) but it does leave the palate amazingly clean, tingling and ready-for-more. Lots of virtue in how the vintage played out with this wine.