The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Advisor: Do you match wine and music?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Wine Advisor: Do you match wine and music?

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:06 pm

(From today's 30 Second Wine Advisor)

Do you match wine and music?

Wine touches our senses and affects our mood. So does music. Is it any surprise that wine and music go well together?

Does our choice of wine to go with dinner have any influence on the music that we choose to accompany the meal? I expect this decision is intuitive, at best, for most of us. We pick a wine that we like, perhaps choosing something that we hope will pair well with the food. But do we do the same when we decide which favorite tracks to bring up to set the mood? Do specific wines pair well with specific tunes? Does Bordeaux go with Beethoven, for example, while The Beatles require Pinot Noir?

This may sound like a clickbait headline or maybe something from The Onion, but now we have a serious study, reported in The Academic Wino, that seeks to discern such a relationship through rigorous study.

"The effect of music on one's psychological behavior has been studied over and over again throughout the scientific literature," wrote Becca Yeamans-Irwin, who publishes the Academic Wino.

"The study of music and wine as a subset is also a popular topic, one of which has seen its fair share of research. Much like wine and food, some believe that there are perfect wine and music pairings, and that maybe we might see music playlists paired alongside the wine lists at a restaurant," Yeamans-Irwin wrote in an Aug. 10, 2017 post, "Wine and Music 'Pairing' Preferences Driven by Emotion: A [Very] Brief Look."

Research has already shown that music really can influence one's enjoyment of wine, a finding that isn't likely to surprise anyone. Little is known, though, about exactly how and why this happens; it could be driven by emotional responses. Academic Wino reports on a recent study published in the journal Beverages, "Assessing the Role of Emotional Associations in Mediating Crossmodal Correspondences between Classical Music and Red Wine." (You can click the preceding link for a look at the abstract.)

This study looked for ways to determine if there are in fact "shared emotional associations between wine and music, and if these associations drive an individuals' evaluation of the wine-music pair."

Briefly told - you're welcome to follow the links above to imbibe the reports in full - researchers selected three classical-music passages that varied in tempo, key, and instrumentation: Sophia Giustani Dussek's "Harp Sonata in C Minor," in fast tempo and major key; Sergei Rachmaninoff's "Romance," in slow tempo, minor key; and "O Fortuna" from Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana," in medium tempo, minor key.

They also selected three red wines: Domaine Pellé Menetou-Salon Morogues Pinot Noir, 2014, light body, soft tannins, high acidity; The Society's Blind Spot 2014 GSM, full body, soft tannins, low acidity; and Scacciadiavoli Montefalco Rosso, 2012, full body, big tannins, high acidity.

After serving the wines in varying combinations with the music and, in one round, without music for a group of 21 individuals with varying degrees of wine knowledge, researchers did find some consistent responses. Participants did tend to pair the most "exiting" and "powerful" selection, "O Fortuna," with the wine that garnered similar associations for excitement and power, the Montefalco Rosso, while Rachmaninoff's "Romance" was rated as eliciting the greatest emotional associations for "sad," seemed to attract people to the Blind Spot GSM.

Overall, writer Yeamans-Irwin said, "this brief study confirmed what is already known about wine and music and that certain songs seem to 'pair' well with certain types of wines. Additionally, the results seemed to support the idea that emotions might, at least in part, drive ... preference for a certain music and wine pairing type. In other words, people are more likely to prefer a wine-music 'pairing' where the wine and musical number share similar emotional response ratings. If these results are accurate, then it may be possible to come up with the 'perfect' playlist for a wine tasting event."

Researchers acknowledged that the study fell well short of rigor. The sample size was tiny, the wines were relatively similar, and the musical selections were all classical. Still, it's a fascinating topic. What do you think? Do you often choose a dinner wine to match your dinner music, or vice-versa? Tell us about it!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Wine Advisor: Do you match wine and music?

by Tim York » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:16 am

Robin, as a passionate lover of both wine and classical music as well as some jazz, I find that a lot of writing about attempting to pair the two is pretentious rubbish. Great music and fine wine require concentration to appreciate fully and I find that the one distracts attention from the other. At best music can be, for me, a pleasant background noise while eating and drinking and, likewise, sipping a small glass of undemanding wine or whisky does not necessarily detract from great music.

As regards background music, some of the classics composed before Beethoven can be listened to better at several levels of concentration than the more "important" and arresting music which followed. Most of the compositions from that period, other than religious music, were nearly always performed in those days in noisy rooms with people carrying on conversations and other activities.

The trouble for me comes when the background music is, say, a Mozart concerto and a moment arrives when my attention gets riveted to it and I no longer show proper interest in the meal and the company.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 am

Good points, Tim. As with all offbeat "research" of this type, I thought it was interesting that - in this small sample - there were able to find some consistent responses between the "weight" of the wine and the music. I'm not sure it has any practical use, but looking at the fine print, I think the researchers are more interested in examining emotional responses than in offering practical advice for everyday life. :)
no avatar
User

win_fried

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:13 am

Cologne, Germany

by win_fried » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 am

I am with Tim and will not accept statistics I have not faked myself.

We once had a song on a CD about wine and music. I recall, it was meant to match well with Weißburgunder. I do not recall which song it was. That tells something I think.

Winfried
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:41 pm

BALDERDASH! And my answer: no I don't. But as for this study, there are so many differences in personal moods, background, knowledge and taste--in both wine and music--that I can't even ponder the possibility without doing an eyeroll. And though you are normally a disciplined writer, it sounds like you kind of changed your tack somewhere between the intro and the ending, because after reading this "Researchers acknowledged that the study fell well short of rigor " at the end I found my expectations had been misdirected by the earlier statement "but now we have a serious study, reported in The Academic Wino, that seeks to discern such a relationship through rigorous study".

Speaking of wine and music, we went to see Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music on Friday night at Chateau Ste Michelle, an undeniably fantastic concert venue regardless of what one thinks of their wines. Big crowds, wine flows fairly freely. You are welcome to buy BTG or whole bottles (there's a huge tasting bar and retail area in the Chateau) and take all that with good quality wine glasses to your seat. Would be interesting to know if they see differences in sales between the various acts given that it's pretty much a given that if you're there, you're probably predisposed to enjoy wine and have a certain similarity in disposable income. Sales figures might actually prove, over the summer, whether or not rock crowds buy more red wine than R & B, say, or if jazz crowds buy more expensive bottles than Country Western. Which is a whole different nut to crack, I realize, than matching a given song to a given wine style, but at least it addresses personal preferences and the wine involved remains a constant.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:38 pm

What can I say? The study was done using the methods of science, and the journal Beverages did accept it for publication, which we have to accept separates it from clickbait on Thrillist or OnlyInYourState. :oops: After that, sure, as the Academic Wino mentioned and I quoted, ,it lacked rigor because of the issues mentioned. Of course it's game for discussion. That's why I concluded, "What do you think?"Still, I think it was a fun idea to come up with a research model aimed at finding where there were any consistent responses, even if they didn't use a large sample. Mainly, I just thought it was fun.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:What can I say? The study was done using the methods of science, and the journal Beverages did accept it for publication, which we have to accept separates it from clickbait on Thrillist or OnlyInYourState. :oops: After that, sure, as the Academic Wino mentioned and I quoted, ,it lacked rigor because of the issues mentioned. Of course it's game for discussion. That's why I concluded, "What do you think?"Still, I think it was a fun idea to come up with a research model aimed at finding where there were any consistent responses, even if they didn't use a large sample. Mainly, I just thought it was fun.

Yes, it was fun. I probably shouldn't have responded until I had coffee. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:21 pm

Jenise wrote:Yes, it was fun. I probably shouldn't have responded until I had coffee. :)

Ahh ... that makes sense. :)

I think it amused me because ... you may remember this, but it was in the VERY early days of the CompuServe forum ... we used to have happy, not very serious threads about matching classical music with wine. Mahler with Syrah, Mozart with Rhine Riesling, Beethoven with Bordeaux, and so it goes. This reminded me of that and made me smile.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jenise wrote:Yes, it was fun. I probably shouldn't have responded until I had coffee. :)

Ahh ... that makes sense. :)

I think it amused me because ... you may remember this, but it was in the VERY early days of the CompuServe forum ... we used to have happy, not very serious threads about matching classical music with wine. Mahler with Syrah, Mozart with Rhine Riesling, Beethoven with Bordeaux, and so it goes. This reminded me of that and made me smile.

I do kind of remember that! And there was one that compared various producers to magazines after someone suggested that a certain bottle was to wine as Reader's Digest was to magazines.

And then there was the time I referred to white zinfandel as "the training bra of wines", which Jancis Robinson actually mentioned in one of her books.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Jenise wrote:And then there was the time I referred to white zinfandel as "the training bra of wines", which Jancis Robinson actually mentioned in one of her books.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A classic moment!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:03 am

I have never considered pairing wine with music. However, several years ago, I thought about proper background music for a multi-course meal, and I believe it was discussed here. I never actually put together a "playlist", but my thoughts were that "light" music would be appropriate and shouldn't be played so loud as to inhibit table conversation. Vivaldi's "Concerto for Two Mandolins" might be ideal for Champagne with appetizers. Beethoven's 6th Symphony would work with the main course, whereas the 5th or 9th would not, as they are too intense and may dominate the setting.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Background music not really allowed in our house (Betsy gets distracted, hard for her not to really listen).

On both Usenet and old WLDG I remember (as Robin says not too serious) threads on matching music (classical or not) with wine.

Totally off topic, but this thread made me review a couple of those threads on AFW, within one found a (non wine related) post of mine from 2004. Reminded Betsy about incident, she hadn't thought of in years. I emphasize this is true:

>And, since this is all mostly OT, the stupid story of the week:
>Betsy was in Maine for a concert Saturday (including the Trout Quintet - trout
>would call for an Alsatian or Oregon PG maybe?). They had also programmed in
>some light stuff, including "Ain't Misbehaving". The day before the concert the
>pageturner quit. She read the lyrics at rehearsal (there wasn't a singer, but
>they were printed on score). She said her church wouldn't like it because of
>the sinful lyrics. Seriously. I fell over laughing.