The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine shops in San Francisco ??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

Wine shops in San Francisco ??

by Mike_F » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:38 am

Any recommendations for good wine shops in San Francisco. I will be in town for a conference next week, and would like to take the opportunity to pick up a few bottles that cannot usually be found on this side of the pond...

thanks much,

Mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: Wine shops in San Francisco ??

by TomHill » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:51 am

Mike_F wrote:Any recommendations for good wine shops in San Francisco. I will be in town for a conference next week, and would like to take the opportunity to pick up a few bottles that cannot usually be found on this side of the pond...

thanks much,

Mike

Mike,
I presume you may be looking for Calif wines that you can't get there. Both K&L and TheWineHouse
are good sources.

But my favorite is EnotecaVinoNostro over on VanNess. The retail outlet for ToscoImports. Only Italian
wines, but some you'd probably not ever see. If they have the Prunent from the Val d'Ossola, you must
try it. A unique & monumental expression of Nebbiolo.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:13 am

Dear Tom,

Many thanks! Indeed I will be looking mainly for California Zinfandel, and the K&L seems to have a good selection and a location within 15 minutes walk of the conference venue. By the way, has anybody tasted the Ridge Geyserville '50 years' cuvee? Any recommendations for truly interesting Zinfandels I should look for?

Thanks also for the recommendation of Enoteca Vino Nostro. That looks like a good place to pick up a gift bottle for my host in SF, who appreciates old world wines. They do not have Prunent listed on their web site, never heard of it before (depths of my ignorance...) but I looked it up on Google and now have a new must-visit destination for my next trip to Italy. Grazie mille!

cheers,

mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

My Mistake...

by TomHill » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 am

Mike_F wrote:Dear Tom,

Many thanks! Indeed I will be looking mainly for California Zinfandel, and the K&L seems to have a good selection and a location within 15 minutes walk of the conference venue. By the way, has anybody tasted the Ridge Geyserville '50 years' cuvee? Any recommendations for truly interesting Zinfandels I should look for?
Thanks also for the recommendation of Enoteca Vino Nostro. That looks like a good place to pick up a gift bottle for my host in SF, who appreciates old world wines. They do not have Prunent listed on their web site, never heard of it before (depths of my ignorance...) but I looked it up on Google and now have a new must-visit destination for my next trip to Italy. Grazie mille!
cheers,
mike

My mistake, Mike. The Cantina Garrone Prunent comes thru WineMonger:
http://winemonger.com/producer/italy/pi ... rrone.html
but looks like they're out. From the pics on the Garrone WebSite, the area
looks to be spectacular. They're tops on my list to visit on my next trip to Italy.

As for Zins, if they have a Bedrock or Carlisle, those would be the ones.
Ridges are always a safe bet and more available. RockWall is the old
Rosenblum & they're quite good.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:47 am

Depending on your conference location, you might check out Arlequin on Hayes Street near the Civic Center. Skew old world and IPOB, but they definitely have some unique California wines, including zinfandels, as well. I know they have stocked Bucklin???? Old Hill in the past.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup..

by TomHill » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:59 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Depending on your conference location, you might check out Arlequin on Hayes Street near the Civic Center. Skew old world and IPOB, but they definitely have some unique California wines, including zinfandels, as well. I know they have stocked Bucklin???? Old Hill in the past.

Yup, Brian...the Bucklin OldHill AncientVines is another good rec.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Thank you both!

cheers,

mike
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:09 pm

Napa Valley Wine Exchange at 415 Taylor St has a very eclectic selection of California wines(not just Napa)..might be worth sticking your head in there if location convenient for you..Staff was very helpful walking me through some wines on 3 separate visits to San Fran, it was next door to a boutique hotel we stayed at twice and not far from our hotel on a third visit.
Jon
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:24 am

Thanks Jon. That is very near the conference venue, so will certainly take a look.
Richard Dawkins