The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

4Seasons (Wine Club)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: 4Seasons (Wine Club)

by Peter May » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:56 am

Personally get too much fun from hunting out odd wines on the shelves, taking advantage of sales and buying wines recommended by friends and on forums like this to want to hand over my future wine choices to someone else.

Since a desk top wine opener retails at less than $10 I wouldn't let that sway your decision.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:04 pm

dmcquade wrote:http://www.4seasonswine.com

D, I don't use them, and the company name isn't familiar. I took a quick browse through the Website, and at a glance it appears that they do feature mostly less familiar producers and labels, but they seem to be "real" wineries. The true "run away" signal is an E-tailer that basically fakes real-looking labels for bulk wines, but I don't see that happening here.

I picked a 2003 Duhart-Milon Bordeaux at random - they wanted $43 for it, which according to Wine-Searcher is a reasonable price but not a particular value.

As Peter says, if you enjoy interesting wines, you'll probably have more fun, immediate gratification and no shipping charges if you simply buy your wine from a quality merchant near you.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:39 pm

dmcquade wrote: I've been looking for some "bargain" wines to balance out my collection

I used to do that -- buy up a load of inexpensive wines when there was a sale -- I hate to pass on a bargain -- and you know what?

There's no limit to the number of wines you can buy, but there's certainly a limit on the amount you can drink. So your stock creeps up and up, you need to drink those cheapies but every time you do there's an more expensive wine going undrunk. Then you find those fine wines have passed their optimum drinking window, you've got inexpensive wines piled up that don't really ring your bell and you start to begrudge them because you know if you don't drink 'em soon they too will turn, and yet you've got those better wines, and there's a wine shop closing down that is selling off some incredible wines at amazing discount and the current vintage is the best since records have begun and you must get some, and you always get Chateau XYZ so you need to get the previous vintage that has just come on the market to keep your vertical collection complete, and your best friend wants you to go halves on a couple of cases he's brought over from France and you're goingto have pasta tonight and your partner always must have a Montepulciano with it and you opened the last one last week so you have to pop out now to the store where you may as well get another half dozen and ...... ding dong! It's that blasted wine club you'd almost forgotten about with its quarterly delivery of a dozen wines you'd never have bought it you seen them in a shop, and not one Montepulciano in it ......

Don't sweat. As long as you you have enough wines to open over the coming week or two plus some fines ones maturing for the future, you have enough.

There's always another vintage, another special offer. Donn't buy to 'round out' a cellar, buy onlywines you really really want to drink. And drink 'em!!