The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Cline Los Carneros Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 1998 Cline Los Carneros Syrah

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:20 am

1998 Cline Los Carneros Syrah
Another one of my efforts to kill some orphans and "feebles" from my cellar. While this was an orphan it also was "feeble". I was a bit surprised that the wine wasn't over-the-hill, but it didn't really hold much appeal either. Some dark black raspberry peppered and lathered with a solid dose of new lumber. Rather simple and uninteresting to my palate. I don't recall the price on this, but something in the $10-$12 range seems to ring a bell.
On a somewhat separate note, what the hell has happened over at Cline? They used to make some very good QPR wines, but I haven't had a Cline that I've enjoyed for 4 or 5 years and have virtuallly crossed them off my "buy list".
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: WTN: 1998 Cline Los Carneros Syrah

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:55 pm

Redwinger wrote:On a somewhat separate note, what the hell has happened over at Cline? They used to make some very good QPR wines, but I haven't had a Cline that I've enjoyed for 4 or 5 years and have virtuallly crossed them off my "buy list".

Well, of course, Matt Cline headed over to Trinitas Cellars to become the winemaker there several years ago and Charlie Tsegeletos took over as winemaker. You may be noticing a difference in winemaking style. You can always ask. Charlie is reachable via e-mail over the Cline website. I actually enjoy Cline's stuff, although the cousins across the way at Jacuzzi are a different story.
And now what?
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Redwinger wrote:1998 Cline Los Carneros Syrah
Another one of my efforts to kill some orphans and "feebles" from my cellar. While this was an orphan it also was "feeble". I was a bit surprised that the wine wasn't over-the-hill, but it didn't really hold much appeal either. Some dark black raspberry peppered and lathered with a solid dose of new lumber. Rather simple and uninteresting to my palate. I don't recall the price on this, but something in the $10-$12 range seems to ring a bell.

I have some old tasting notes from a bottle of that '98 Cline Syrah. It was doing extremely well 4 1/2 years ago. I suspect it is just fading away. Also, my database notes indicate the retail price of that wine was in the $18-20 range.

The last bottle of Cline Syrah I tasted was from the 1999 vintage, so I can't comment on any recent changes there.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:59 pm

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:
Redwinger wrote:1998 Cline Los Carneros Syrah

I have some old tasting notes from a bottle of that '98 Cline Syrah. It was doing extremely well 4 1/2 years ago. I suspect it is just fading away. Also, my database notes indicate the retail price of that wine was in the $18-20 range.

The last bottle of Cline Syrah I tasted was from the 1999 vintage, so I can't comment on any recent changes there.

-- Clark

You could be right about it starting to fade, but it did not strike me as OTH either. I suspect the wine was much more fruit forward in its' youth and may have handled the oak treatment better in its youth. Also,I know I am much less oak tolerant than I was say, 10 years ago. FWIW, after I posted this TN, I was able to locate one of my notes on this wine from about 6 years ago and it was quite favorable, plus it did not didn't mention any oak issues and at that time I put the cost @ $15. Go figure!
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!