The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine glasses

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Wine glasses

by Maria Samms » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:53 am

I was wondering why Pinot Noir and Burgundy require the largest bowl on the wine glass? I thought the larger bowls were to allow the wine to aerate which helps with the tannins. If Pinot Noir/Burgundy have less tannins, particulary compared to Bordeaux or Cabernet Sauvignon, why wouldn't the PNs have a smaller bowled glass?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Wine glasses

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:54 am

The bigger bowls are more to allow the aromatics to expand in the glass. Pinot is the most aromatic red wine, so that's the reason for the big bowl.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:47 am

Maria, another wine that rewards you for pulling the big bowl are grenache-based wines like Cotes du Rhone and some Chateneufs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:01 pm

Maria, another wine that rewards you for pulling the big bowl are grenache-based wines like Cotes du Rhone and some Chateneufs.
And nebbiolo too! :) Aged barolo always gets the big bowl in our house.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:27 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
And nebbiolo too! :) Aged barolo always gets the big bowl in our house.

Yes, I've heard about you slurping out of that big bowl...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:31 pm

For a real eye opener.... I suggest trying a prestige cuvee Champagne in a Pinot Glass.
no avatar
User

Brad Wood

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:48 pm

Bourbonnais, Illinois

by Brad Wood » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:32 pm

Since we are talking about wine glasses, I have a question. Just how important are the different wine glasses to the drinking experience? I have only two different types of glasses. One larger, more open bowl that I generally use for reds and a smaller glass that I use for whites. My two problems are cost and storage of all those glasses. What does everyone else say?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:21 pm

Brad, if I were going to limit myself to 1 or two types of wine glas, I would opt for one and that would be the INAO glass. it is a smallish (around 8oz) egg shapped glass that seems to work well with both red and white. Of course as most things "one sizer fits all" they are not optimum, but they do take care of the space requirements and they do serve fairly well for most types of wine.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:35 pm

Yup! And you can get them for about $2.50ea./case of 36 so it doesn't hurt too badly when you break one.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Alan, can you give me a URl where they are this inexpensive? I am down to about 2 dozen, and I use them daily.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:17 pm

Maria Samms wrote:I was wondering why Pinot Noir and Burgundy require the largest bowl on the wine glass? I thought the larger bowls were to allow the wine to aerate which helps with the tannins. If Pinot Noir/Burgundy have less tannins, particulary compared to Bordeaux or Cabernet Sauvignon, why wouldn't the PNs have a smaller bowled glass?

Supposedly because wine glass companies like Riedel tested a variety of configurations with different kinds of wines and the Burgundy bowl worked best with Pinot Noir, in their opinions.

I agree with the configuration for Burgundy (I've tested them in a few different shaped glasses), but I was at a wine dinner the weekend before last and a California Pinot Noir was poured into a Riedel Bordeaux glass for my wife, I guess because the restaurant ran out of Burgundy glasses. We both agreed that the California Pinot Noir tasted better in the Bordeaux glass.

Wines vary so much relative to winemaking, terroir, vintage, vine and age. You might expect that one glass configuration wouldn't necessarily best fit all wine derived from a single type of grape or group of grapes.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:37 pm

We don't play much Burgundy Roulette these days, but we do drink nice serviceable Burgs, Crus Beaujolais, and Left Coast Pinots out of some nice glasses we picked up at an outlet twenty or thirty years ago. They are long stemed, have a miniature fish bowl on top, with a nice thin rim. We use them alot, have moved them three times, and still have five of the original six.

They do give a nice nose to what's in them, and agree with others on this point.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:00 am

Covert wrote: I was at a wine dinner the weekend before last and a California Pinot Noir was poured into a Riedel Bordeaux glass for my wife, I guess because the restaurant ran out of Burgundy glasses. We both agreed that the California Pinot Noir tasted better in the Bordeaux glass.

The Cali Pinot probably had less aroma and more alcohol than most Bordeaux. The less-bulbous shape and wider lip may prevent the booze from taking focus.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:35 am

Covert, alcohol and expectations play fairly equally in how wine shows in any glass.

My favorite new all-around red glass is the Schott Zwiesel "Mature Red" in the titanium line. Wide base, narrow opening. I thought I'd find them a bit too confining for new wines, but you know what? I tend to prefer almost everything but pinot noir (yes, even Californians, though I rarely drink them less than five years of age) in that glass. Most everything else just smells too alcoholic and taste too loose/blowsy/big in my Speiglau Bordeaux glasses. Which confuses me, I would think the smaller the opening, the more concentrated the aromas, even bad ones like alcohol. But in practice, I find the narrower opening gives me the tauter flavors I want and the concentrated aromas, too. Time and again, I start out in the other glass and then move over.

Maybe that's what the Bordeaux glass does for you compared to the burg bowl.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:44 am

Bob,
I get mine from Arton Glass in Virginia. 804-462-0948
http://www.artonglass.emerchant.pro.com
e-mail artonglass@sylvaninfo.net
The Viticole INAO 7 1/4 oz. glass is part #3022166
They deal mostly in decorated glassware, but if you ask they will sell cases of undecorated glass at what I think are very good prices.
Best
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 am

I currently keep 5 sets of glasses easily accessible (in other words, not in basement):
Schott Zwiesel White Burgundy/Chardonnay
Schott Zwiesel Bordeaux
Spiegelau Burgundy
Schott Zwiesel Riesling/Rose
Riedel flutes

Except for dinner parties, we pretty much use the dishwashable Schott Zwiesels. I'm geeky enough to enjoy using various glasses, but if I needed to chose one glass I'd probably be quiter happy using the Chardonnay glasses (13.5 oz) for everything. I already use it for some reds such as Beaujolais, Chianti, etc (it's about the same size as the Riedel Chianti/Zinfandel glass I think). It might not be optimum for big reds, but they do better in it that most whites swimming around in a huge bowl.