The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: Your ability to evaluate wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: Your ability to evaluate wine

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:44 am

We assume that we're all here because we enjoy wine, but we're not all called upon to judge the stuff. For this week's online poll, we're curious how participants in our international community of wine lovers rate our own individual capability to evaluate wine. In the complete privacy of the Netscape/CompuServe WineLovers Community "voting booth," we invite your frank and candid appraisal.

<b>Click here to vote</b>
Usual reminder: You don't have to register or log in to Netscape or CompuServe to vote, and you may feel free to post comments to the Netscale Forum or to this thread as you prefer.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: Your ability to evaluate wine

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:05 pm

Since I forgot my Netscape screen name, I guess I'll comment here.

Interesting question which addresses for me about three different items:

#1. There's method. Swish and spit, so to speak. Color, aroma, taste, tongue feel, finish and other "objective data points." All measureable things. This can be learned by anyone, although I am red-green colorblind which is a definite disadvantage.

#2. There's knowledge and experience. How large a storehouse of sensory memories does one have with which one can associate the data points in #1 above? How well informed is one about what goes on in the world of wine? These knowledges and experiences can be amassed with some effort.

#3. There's innate ability and talent. How sensitive is one's tongue and nose and how well does one translate those sensations into meaningful information for others? This can be trained somewhat, but I really think, looking at myself, that you either have it or you don't ... and I don't.

#1 and #2 I've acquired through study and practice. #3 not so much. To paraphrase Freud, "Sometimes a glass of wine is just a glass of wine." And that disappointments me because I know there's more out there to experience (unless, of course, you guys have been lying to me all these years).
And now what?
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:34 pm

I'll repeat the comment I posted on Compuserve.

I dunno. What's average?

I've been drinking wine for more than 40 years, and one thing I've noticed is that my senses have dulled in the last 5 years or so. Whites in particular seem to have lost nuance.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:03 pm

Since I can't access the Netscape forum from here (thank you Net Nanny) I'll say that I think I am a pretty far above average taster, but it's because I have been able to participate in three separate blind tasting groups that have covered much of the world for me. I have learned to recognize grape variety (only mistake Bordeaux for Burgundy once a day or so), region (at least to the country) and method in many cases. There's a few vineyard sites I can peg once in a while, but that's just because I drink so much from them.

The one thing I have learned about tasting is to always trust my first instinct. I've screwed up more guesses by over thinking than I have ever gotten right.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:00 am

I decided I was "above average," because I was blind tasted on some Loire wines last week and was able to identify a Vouvray, a Coteux du Layons, and a Savenniere. Does that make me above average? I have no idea.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:21 am

I clicked average.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:04 pm

Not sure, because I'm just starting to explore this as a hobby. I'm taking the WSET Intermediate certificate course, and hope to have a better grasp of what to look for when I'm through. As it stands now, we've had two classes and tasted 9-10 wines in each, and it seems that my impressions as to aroma differ greatly from everyone elses (excepting bolder and more obvious scents such as olives and smoke.)
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:18 pm

Robin,

What population do you have in mind when you ask us to rate ourselves as "average", etc? If it is the total American, British, Belgian, French, etc. populations are the reference points, I think that everybody who posts or lurks on this board is "above average" and that is where I voted.

Speaking, however, for myself, when rating my ability against my wine loving friends or the professionals whom I know, I feel very modest about my ability and, for example, I don't think my judgement is good enough to go into the trade. It happens sometimes that I like a wine at a tasting but when I get it home and drink it with food I revise my judgement downwards, particularly with "modern" wines; the vice versa experience is rare because I tend not to buy wines which I do not care for at tastings.

When Dave Erickson says he has distinguished blind between Vouvray, Coteaux du Layon and Savennières, I would put him into the "excellent" category in almost any population except professionals from those areas. I drink a lot of loire wine but am not confident that I could do the same although an illicit glimpse at the bottle shape would allow me to differentiate Vouvray/Montlouis from Layon/Savennières.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:20 pm

K Story wrote:Not sure, because I'm just starting to explore this as a hobby. I'm taking the WSET Intermediate certificate course, and hope to have a better grasp of what to look for when I'm through. As it stands now, we've had two classes and tasted 9-10 wines in each, and it seems that my impressions as to aroma differ greatly from everyone elses (excepting bolder and more obvious scents such as olives and smoke.)

Boy, just starting and taking classes! Very impressive!

Join the club with the different impressions. My nose and tongue seem to ferret out vegetal, capsicum, peat-moss-like, oxidised and sulfuric odors and tastes when everyone else is chanting about cassis, cherries, plums, etc. If it stinks, I pick up on it. I find I really have to do some Zen to perceive the fruity stuff even though I work on establishing benchmarks by consciously smelling and tasting those things which the wine is supposed to recall, e.g. berries, other fruits etc.
Last edited by Gary Barlettano on Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:33 pm

I'm "average" at best. Although I always seem to prefer the pricier wines (even when tasting blind) than the plonk, at least. :P I do seem to be hyper-sensitive to caramelly oak notes and vanillin.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:05 pm

Tim York wrote:What population do you have in mind when you ask us to rate ourselves as "average", etc? If it is the total American, British, Belgian, French, etc. populations are the reference points, I think that everybody who posts or lurks on this board is "above average" and that is where I voted.

Tim, you're really assuming a level of nuance that doesn't exist here. :)

Seriously, these little polls are non-rigorous and non-scientific. I put them up mostly just for fun and, hoping it works when I come up with a good one, to prompt us to think about wine-related topics, talk about them, and maybe learn something about ourselves, about wine or both.

That's a long way of saying that it's really up to your own definition, and obviously this one made you think.

If we ever wanted to do a rigorous survey with any validity at all, though, we couldn't frame the instrument in that simple form, and we couldn't really accomplish it by simply opening a poll and waiting to see who participates.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:07 pm

In the spirit of having a bit of fun, here's what I posted onto the other forum in response to this somewhat provocative question.

When in the presence of Garr & Buckner, I would rate a decidely "Well Below Average".

When in the room with a random collection of NHL fans, I would (hopefuly) rate "Above Average".

So, I guess that makes me just about Average.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:48 pm

Kind of like Clark. Among regulars of this forum, I'm average. Elsewhere, I'm well above average and have some people fooled into thinking I'm excellent.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:28 pm

Tim York wrote:When Dave Erickson says he has distinguished blind between Vouvray, Coteaux du Layon and Savennières, I would put him into the "excellent" category in almost any population except professionals from those areas. I drink a lot of loire wine but am not confident that I could do the same although an illicit glimpse at the bottle shape would allow me to differentiate Vouvray/Montlouis from Layon/Savennières.

Full disclosure: I've also confused '93 Beaune with Cannonau :D
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:57 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:was able to identify a Vouvray, a Coteux du Layons, and a Savenniere.

Were these all sweet wines?
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Jenise wrote:Kind of like Clark. Among regulars of this forum, I'm average. Elsewhere, I'm well above average and have some people fooled into thinking I'm excellent.

I'd say that applies to me as well. It amazes me that companions really want me to pick the wine at a restaurant. I think that most folks are uncomfortable doing that. Also, I got lucky once on a wine pick and they remember that.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:06 pm

My ability to judge wine is determined by my own preferences. Beyond that, judging a wine for its own merits of style and terroir?...I'd probably rate myself as...Poor.

A good friend of mine (who runs the local retail outlet in this area) is always saying..."It tastes like it is supposed to taste." I understand the mindset, but am unable to distance myself from a wine that I don't like.

Richard
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:31 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:was able to identify a Vouvray, a Coteux du Layons, and a Savenniere.

Were these all sweet wines?

No. The Vouvray and Coteaux du Layons were both off-dry; the Savenniere, a Domaine de Baumard Trie Speciale, was sui generis. They have some sweetness to them, but they also pack a wallop in terms of acidity. In fact, once you've tasted a Savenniere, it's pretty easy to spot later on--there's not much else like it.