The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: old Unti

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: old Unti

by Patchen Markell » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Unti Vineyards 2002 Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel. The last bottle of this in our cellar. 14.4% abv. Includes 8% Petite Sirah in the blend. Despite a crumbling cork, this proved to be delicious and à point. Wood totally absorbed, now showing bright, still-fresh brambly fruit, only just beginning to show some age around the edges; more strawberry than I recall from its youth, backed by a deep, dark, brooding border of flavor that I ascribe to the Petite. I was worried this might be over the hill, but it actually seemed surprisingly young; if I had one more bottle I might even wait 3-5 years to see what happened; but at the moment it's morphed into a classic, old-school Zin.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: old Unti

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 am

Sounds good. 15-20 is a nice spot for well made Zin IMO.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Old Folks on an old Unti

by TomHill » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:15 am

Patchen Markell wrote:Unti Vineyards 2002 Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel. The last bottle of this in our cellar. 14.4% abv. Includes 8% Petite Sirah in the blend. Despite a crumbling cork, this proved to be delicious and à point. Wood totally absorbed, now showing bright, still-fresh brambly fruit, only just beginning to show some age around the edges; more strawberry than I recall from its youth, backed by a deep, dark, brooding border of flavor that I ascribe to the Petite. I was worried this might be over the hill, but it actually seemed surprisingly young; if I had one more bottle I might even wait 3-5 years to see what happened; but at the moment it's morphed into a classic, old-school Zin.

Patchen,
Kinda surprised that this held up so well. Like the Ridges, I suspect it was
the balance that took it out this long.
Tom
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: old Unti

by Patchen Markell » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:18 am

As somebody around here is known to say, "yup!"

The Unti Zinfandels we held on to also aged more gracefully than the Syrahs, which is also how I feel about Ridge's Sonoma County bottlings, for the most part.

But now we've got a decade-long Unti gap in the cellar. Which is fine: we have catching up to do elsewhere!
cheers, Patchen