The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Don Luigi Clos des Papes Sassicaia Grahams

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Don Luigi Clos des Papes Sassicaia Grahams

by Bill Spohn » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Notes from a lunch blind tasting.

2006 Vertice Pinot Noir – pink bubble from the Douro. Decent nose and mousse (but the latter faded a bit with time) and some cherry fruit, with decent length.

2006 Di Maio Norante Don Luigi – 90% montepulciano and 10% aglianico. Dark wine with a dark plumy nose with some spice and good fruit on palate. Medium length.

2009 Passopisciaro – from the slopes of Mt. Etna, this wine was Burgundian in colour and showed a sweet toffee nose, and tons of acidity. Interesting.

1995 Clos des Papes CNduP – medium colour, funky bretty nose but in a good ay, with good dark fruit levels, mellow, complex and long. Still excellent.

1986 Sassicaia – still a dark wine, with clear edges rather than brick, cedar and greenish fruit in nose and a hint of black olive. Long smooth finish, the tannins having finally softened. Very good.

2007 Sesti Rosso di Montalcino – lighter colour, mellow nose of dark cherries, spice/pepper and good acidity. Drink very well right now.

1997 Grahams Port – I thought this might be too young, but it showed good development with a slightly warm, sweet nose of ripe fig and orange rind, and was very smooth and integrated in the mouth with significant tannin.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Don Luigi Clos des Papes Sassicaia Grahams

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:43 pm

I like the Passopisciaro Etna wines a lot.
Surprised (as I guess you were) the '97 Grahams was that approachable.