The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image

by Tim York » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:55 am

This is the message which I now get when I try to post images from my posts on Cellar Tracker. Is this a glitch or has something been changed?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the i

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 am

I think it's a poorly worded error message from the forum system, Tim. The forum software will not accept images larger than 800x800 pixels. Bigger images return that "Duh, I dunno" message rather than the more informative "Image too large."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:01 am

Have you changed anything about the way you take label pictures, Tim? New camera? My best guess is that something has changed causing your CT images to be larger than before.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:10 am

Robin, I've changed nothing. These messages started appearing from one day to the next. I wonder if something has changed at CT.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:29 am

Tim York wrote:Robin, I've changed nothing. These messages started appearing from one day to the next. I wonder if something has changed at CT.

Possibly. Could you ask the management over there? Also, could you have inadvertently changed a setting on your camera that is saving pix at higher resolution? If you like, shoot me a copy of the label image via email at robingarr at Gmail.com and I'll see if I can discern anything helpful.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Tim York wrote:Robin, I've changed nothing. These messages started appearing from one day to the next. I wonder if something has changed at CT.

Possibly. Could you ask the management over there? Also, could you have inadvertently changed a setting on your camera that is saving pix at higher resolution? If you like, shoot me a copy of the label image via email at robingarr at Gmail.com and I'll see if I can discern anything helpful.

Robin, I have a message from Eric LeVine saying that they have changed nothing. Inadvertent change by myself is not likely because the first rejected image (Cahors Triguedina on September 1) came from my old camera and had already been successfully posted. I'll see if I can send you a recent image.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:04 pm

Tim, at this point we are beyond my level of competence, but thanks for the email. I've re-sized your image and sent the smaller version back to you. Looks like a fine wine!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:05 pm

Also, if any other CT users are looking on, can you offer Tim any tips about copying TNs over to the forum with the accompanying image? I understand that he's been doing it successfully until now and hasn't changed anything, but still hoping some CT experts can look in and offer thoughts.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:50 pm

FWIW, I have never been able to bring over images. They always fail.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:04 am

As you may see, I have managed to post some new images. There does in fact appear to have been a change at CT. The image links are now coded https and suppressing the final "s" lets the images through.
I'll send an Email to Eric to point this out.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:58 am

Tim York wrote:As you may see, I have managed to post some new images. There does in fact appear to have been a change at CT. The image links are now coded https and suppressing the final "s" lets the images through.
I'll send an Email to Eric to point this out.

Excellent! I figured something had changed somewhere ... glad you tracked it down, Tim. Switching to secure servers is a wise move for any site that handles money, credit-card info, etc., and Google is encouraging site hosts to do it. Since we don't handle money and it would cost money to change, we're holding back over here. :)
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:01 am

This problem has come back and the former fix of eliminating the "s" from "https" now elicits the "..not possible..." message once again.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:59 am

Tim, I saw you email on this but hadn't had the chance to respond. The guys at CT are trying to be helpful, but the bottom line is that the forum software isn't as easily adjusted as they seem to think. It comes in a "black box" and doesn't really benefit from tweaking, even if we had the skills. They have to do what they have to do, and I'm sorry it breaks the possibility of including photos directly with your CT-to-forum post. There's always the option of uploading an image (of acceptable dimensions) directly to the forum, and I'd be delighted if you should choose to do that. But we're just not going to be able to accommodate what CT needs to do it directly, sorry.