The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Broken record - 2 recent arrivals + antidote

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Broken record - 2 recent arrivals + antidote

by Saina » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:13 pm

I don't know if I should post my TNs on these two wines: I don't want to go through more discussions of whether or not I'm crusading against the 2003 vintage in Europe. I don't care. What I do care about is what is in the glass, and these two recent arrivals, just didn't do anything for me.

Chanson Père et Fils Côtes de Beaune-Villages 2003 13,5% 16,37€

Elsewhere in Europe this seems to sell for 10-12€, why so expensive here? The nose has beetroot and is obviously Pinot, though it does have a Southern Rhône like honeyed sweetness to it. It is red toned and some hints of savouryness, but the sweetness is most obvious. The palate is sweet, acidless (I don't think I have tasted any other Pinots with so little acidity) with some of the harsh tannins that plague so many 2003s. The aftertaste is nonexistent - only the alcohol lives on. Fair, if a little odd, nose; disastrous palate.

La Cave des Vignerons de Gigondas Gigondas L'Hallali Grande Réserve 2003 14,5% 11,55€

This is quite a bit more successful than the Chanson. The nose is big and sweet and typical Grenache in its aromas of strawberry and a bit of dusty earth. If it weren't so confected, I would say it is a very nice example of Gigondas. The palate is sweet, a bit watery, with noticable tannins and oddly enough much, much better acidity than the Chanson. Unfortunately the palate again is confected and much too alcoholic.

Both of these wines seemed unspoofulated and victims of heat. The Gigondas was marginally successful considering the price, but for my palate, I won't buy either.

I opened up a Josef Biffar Deidesheimer Grainhübel Riesling Spätlese Trocken 1996 from the Pfalz as an antidote. A previous bottle was one of the few German Trockens that I have genuinely loved and so I bought a few more bottles when the chance arose.

The colour is gold: seems more mature than the taste and palate. The nose is pungently mineral with fine fruit and lovely, harmonious amounts of grapefruit bitterness. The palate is more of the Austrian/Alsace mode in being powerful and dry but having the fruit to carry the power. It has a most delectable honeyed touch though it remains totally dry. The acidity is nicely noticable. The 12,5% is not noticable at all. Drinking perfectly now and will surely last (and last open for a couple days also once the cork is pulled). This was a wine that brought a smile to my face.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Broken record - 2 recent arrivals + antidote

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:26 pm

Otto
You drink all the 2003's you want to! I have to say your tasting them reminds me of George Dubya playing cricket in India (or was it Pakistan?). He gave it a go, but it obviously wasn't a match made in heaven.

I must admit to being intrigued as to why you're tasting so many - it's a vintage I've generally avoided in Europe (and Australia - similar hot year). Kind of thought with your palate you'd be avoiding them more than I am?

There you go, I've got you back into the debate!

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:34 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:whether or not I'm crusading against the 2003 vintage in Europe. I don't care.

Where's the problem here? The vintage bites, and it also separates those who love terroir and balance from those who love one-dimensional fruit and spoofy Parkerismo. Is there a controversy about this? :roll:
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:whether or not I'm crusading against the 2003 vintage in Europe. I don't care.

Where's the problem here? The vintage bites, and it also separates those who love terroir and balance from those who love one-dimensional fruit and spoofy Parkerismo. Is there a controversy about this? :roll:

Robin
The comment stems from someone on the UK wine forum having a pop at Otto for posting so many bad comments about 2003. It seems we're more civilised over here :wink:
regards
Ian
Last edited by Ian Sutton on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:56 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:It seems we're more civilised over here :wink:

It's true! One rarely hears much about <i>baseball</i> hooligans ...
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:09 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:You drink all the 2003's you want to! I have to say your tasting them reminds me of George Dubya playing cricket in India (or was it Pakistan?). He gave it a go, but it obviously wasn't a match made in heaven.

I must admit to being intrigued as to why you're tasting so many - it's a vintage I've generally avoided in Europe (and Australia - similar hot year). Kind of thought with your palate you'd be avoiding them more than I am?

Well, long story short, I have a chance to taste most recent releases to our Alko either for free or to buy a bottle with 14 other people. For free or for a 15th of the price to get 5cl I'm willing to try wines that might not be to my taste if they are somewhat interesting.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:22 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:You drink all the 2003's you want to! I have to say your tasting them reminds me of George Dubya playing cricket in India (or was it Pakistan?). He gave it a go, but it obviously wasn't a match made in heaven.

Well, long story short, I have a chance to taste most recent releases to our Alko either for free or to buy a bottle with 14 other people. For free or for a 15th of the price to get 5cl I'm willing to try wines that might not be to my taste if they are somewhat interesting.

No shrubberies involved?
Not much of a crusade is it :wink: (is as good as a nod to a blind bat)

For a chance to taste what you tasted, then worth a go I suppose (though hindsight might have a 5 minute argument with you)

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:39 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:No shrubberies involved?
Not much of a crusade is it :wink: (is as good as a nod to a blind bat)

For a chance to taste what you tasted, then worth a go I suppose (though hindsight might have a 5 minute argument with you)

regards

Ian

Dude! You've been watching too much MP!