The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: weekend of good (no great) wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: weekend of good (no great) wines

by Dale Williams » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:46 pm

I realized when I took out recycling I forgot one Labor Day wine, the 2016 Calabretta Etna Rosato. I didn’t take notes, but I remember this as being quite tasty in an “almost a red” style, including a bit of tannin.

Friday I poached some haddock and vegetables in white wine, used a bottle of 2014 Clos du Bois Chardonnay (California) that someone had brought to party (figured if it went to cellar, I’d never bring back up). Movie popcorn butter and vanilla bathroom candle, round with canned fruit cocktail on palate. Not my style C/C+

But the 2015 Mardon Quincy Tres Vieilles Vignes was a lovely lighter styled SB. Grapefruit, citrus zest, and a touch of glass. Lively, bright, fine value at about $14. B+/B

Saturday we went to the new jazz club in Tarrytown for the early show- a trio with the legendary Jimmy Cobb on drums. We snacked on meatballs and chickpea tapenade and tried a couple BTG

2016 Aia Vecchia Vermentino
Soft, peachy, melon, needs backbone B-/C+

2014 Quattro Mani Montepulciano d'Abruzzo .
A little hot on nose, but more balanced on palate, red plums and cherries, a little ash. B-

Then home where I had some short ribs & cabbage in a slow cooker, with the 2007 Vallana Gattinara. Light to middleweight, black cherry , a touch of Nebbiolo rose petal/floral notes. B

Sunday Betsy had a concert, I did the shopping for friends to come over after. Guests brought shrimp canapes and cheese-stuffed mushrooms, plus I shucked a few oysters

2016 Ch. de l’Eperonniere Rose de Loire. Light, strawberries and rosemary, good enough.B-

Betsy made a house favorite, a lobster/corn/tomato salad. The 2013 Alain Chavy Puligny-Montrachet is very high acid, clean citrus and green apple, a touch of chalk/seashell. Tasty, but in a more of a Chablis style than Puligny. B

Followed that with Toulouse sausage, bratwurst, and squash from the grill, and the
2001 Duclaux Cote Rotie. Fully mature, resolved tannins, nice fresh acids, dark fruit with lots of bacon. Drink up (and enjoy). B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.