The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: I was a Rock

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: I was a Rock

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:39 am

2015 Edmunds St. John Rocks and Gravel - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (9/15/2017)
This is the last vintage for Rocks & Gravel (Steve lost access to the fruit), and it's going out with style. About half Mourvèdre, with the rest split about 35/15 Grenache/Syrah, the wine speaks in a low tone of voice. The fruit is red, but ripe and deep, though never sweet. Herb, spice and mineral aromas back it up, singing in the exact same key. It actually feels a little closed in, as if I missed that open window on a new(ish) R&G bottling, though air brings more delineation and a touch more volume. I followed the bottle (not decanted) over about three hours, and it kept to that same dark yet quiet song. The structure asserted itself as a back end firmness, never becoming harsh or drying. There looks to be a long period of unfolding in the future for this wine, probably starting to come into its own maybe 7-8 years from now based on other vintages of R&G, with a lengthy period of fine drinking after that. For now I will leave the rest of my case, and allow it to evolve the way nearly every ESJ wine does, with harmony and grace.
Decisions are made by those who show up