The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2x 2006 Louis Boillot Gevrey Chambertin 1er

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 2x 2006 Louis Boillot Gevrey Chambertin 1er

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:18 am

2006 Louis Boillot Gevrey Chambertin Champonnet
Lovely maturing fine Burg Berry scents. You can't get this elsewhere and you can't get it without waiting! (And seems to have really turned into the mature zone compared to 18 months ago when it showed more raw-ness. Or at least this bottle does). Nice gentle palate, that also shows the delicate evidence of age. But the palate doesn't quite match up to the nose in terms of level of joy, because it is a bit on the thin side. I've enjoyed a bunch of his young Champonnet but maybe I'm starting to understand why it's not the most highly-regarded Gevrey 1er.

2006 Louis Boillot Gevrey Chambertin Cherbaudes
Lovely. All the fine delicate aromas of the Champonnet but with more weight and more silk on the palate. Perfect integration of orchard aromatics that are still offset by a solid Burg berry fruit core and sappy succulence. It even gained in firm dark mineral savoriness with air. So there is life left and it's definitely in my zone of Delicious Drinkability. It was also one of those wines that inspired me to wax poetic at the dinner table, regaling my son with descriptions of what joy can come from the bottle, and needling him for being younger than the wine. I'm sure one day he'll understand!