The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What wine glasses are you using these days?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

What wine glasses are you using these days?

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:59 am

Something caught my eye the other day, and so this old subject came back. I tend to use the Schott Zweisel (sp?) glasses, as they seem more durable than most, but still have a big backlog of Spieglau and RIedel.

Zalto and Gabriel Glas seem to be the new kids in town. I have used Zaltos, and they are really nice, but boy do they seem fragile.

Anyway...what glass are you drinking from?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What wine glasses are you using these days?

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:25 am

Good question. We have a cabinet full of assorted Riedels that rarely get used because Mary doesn't like them - too big for her hands, too scary to wash. We typically use smaller, not too expensive tulips for drinking, and I have a couple of boxes of Les Impitoyables mini-taster knockoffs for analytical sniffing.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:07 pm

I have a set of Riedels that were free as a raffle prize at a wine dinner at Ruth's Chris Steak House in Raleigh but they seem almost overwhelming in size. I usually use inexpensive smaller wine glasses from event fundraisers put on by the C.A.R.E. clinic of Fayetteville. Also rarely used, a set of green spiral stemmed Riesling glasses from Germany.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:29 pm

I've moved strongly toward glasses that can be put in the dishwasher. For a couple years everything went into a Riedel Vinum chardonnay that I can just fit in the top rack by putting at a 45-degree angle. Recently I got some Riedel Os (the stemless kind) in cabernet/merlot and pinot noir, and I've been very happy with them. Since there's no stem they fit easily in the dishwasher. Interestingly, even though Riedel says they're not dishwasher safe, they totally are. In fact, since I switched to the dishwasher I haven't broken a glass (knock on wood), which I used to do from time to time. I also really like the Riedel Vinum water glass, which is not crystal but nice thin regular glass. I still get out the stemmed Vinum for special occasions a few times a year.

Some people seem really enthused about the Zaltos but I'd rather have nice bottles of wine.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Can't go to Zaltos. Beautiful stuff but we'd kill them. Most of my glasses are Riedel. I have a few Schott-Zwiesels I like too. Used to have Spieglaus but they etched super easy in the DW and we finally tossed them out. They held onto water and eventually just looked like hell. Couldn't get the spots out.

I don't like the stemless glasses. I have small hands for a tall girl, and they just seem to bobble in my hand. And I can't stand the fingerprints.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:32 pm

I've got some assorted Zaltos, Schott Zwiesels, Spiegelaus, Riedels, and recently acquired some Gabriel Glas.

My most used glasses are the Zalto Universal and white wine glasses (for me the Bdx and Burg ones are a bit bulky). Look fragile, but are quite durable. And I (carefully) use dishwasher (as they say you can).

But the GG glasses are great too for a "universal" glass. The Gold are similar weight to the Zaltos, the regular are more like Spiegelaus.

I have 2 "Os" (stemless) that I use for picnics, where glass will sit in grass or on blanket

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Our everyday wine glasses are Alessi from Germany but we also have four stemless Crystalite Bohemia glasses from the Czech Republic and a set of four Zwiesel Clas (the huge bowls) for special occasion wines. We do not have a dish washer (other than my wife) so I do not know how they would fare in such a device. We had some big-bowl Riedels but they were too fragile for even hand washing.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Dale - thanks for the info on the GG glassware. I have been thinking about getting a few.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:23 pm

Crate and Barrel has a nice line of glasses, well shaped and at various levels. They are mostly from the Czech Republic or Slovakia and most have a pleasing thinness to the rim. The cheaper ones, around $4 each, are quite durable, and the more expensive ones appear to be hand blown, but are a lot more delicate.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:38 pm

I started using the Riedel O's several years ago after my daughter gave me a sample pack (5 different glasses). After trying them I settled on the Cab/Merlot/Bdx, the Pinot/Burgundy, the Sauv Blanc/Reisling and the Syrah. I use them for everyday drinking. If we have company other than daughter's friends I pull out some random stems I have, some from tasting rooms and a few Spiegelaus. For larger groupsI have a case of generic stems.

The O's work well for us with the bonus that we have some start to tip over and an just balance on the rounded edge instead of going all the way over, or even tip back on the base. Try that with stemware!

We also have the O bubbly glasses as well as a couple of Riedels and some champagne coupes that daughter thinks are the bomb.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:28 am

Are the GG Golds the same size bowl as the Zalto Bordeaux?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:59 am

For everyday use with red wines, I use decently sized tulip shaped glasses, of which I bought 4 for c.€10! at a local supermarket. For "best" I use Riedel Vinum Syrah glasses, of which only 5 of the original 12 are left. I can't say that I have noticed a significant difference in smell and taste between the two glass types; so when we break more of those Riedels I may decide to replace them with the supermarket's offerings.

For whites everyday I have smaller tulip shaped glasses in Bohemian crystal which were also very cheap at a Belgian supermarket a few years ago. For "best", Riedel Vinum Chardonnay and several similar glasses brought away from tastings, mainly Spiegelau.
Tim York
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:21 pm

Jenise wrote:Can't go to Zaltos. Beautiful stuff but we'd kill them. Most of my glasses are Riedel. I have a few Schott-Zwiesels I like too. Used to have Spieglaus but they etched super easy in the DW and we finally tossed them out. They held onto water and eventually just looked like hell. Couldn't get the spots out.

I don't like the stemless glasses. I have small hands for a tall girl, and they just seem to bobble in my hand. And I can't stand the fingerprints.

Do you recall what type of crystal the Spiegelaus were? I seem to be very lucky with my dishwasher / detergent / water. The only thing I can't put in there is alumnium and gold-plated stuff. But I think I also have all the older lead crystal glasses.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:30 pm

We use mostly Spiegelau Cremona white wine and Burgundy glasses. They are large, attractive, dishwasher safe, and were ridiculously cheap - they averaged $5-6 Canadian per glass (that's about $3-4 US), in various sales.

We also have a few cheap stemless glasses for our cheap everyday red (a Valpolicella ripasso from Antiche Terre Venete), and a few Riedel Burgundy, Rhone and Barolo glasses for special occasions.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Schott Zwiesel for me - Vina Burgundy glasses for pretty much every wine. They are not what you might think of as Burgundy glasses, and are very similar in shape to Riedel Vinum Chianti. But they are lighter than the Riedels, generally handle better IMO, and are quite a bit cheaper.

There are other cheaper alternatives, but the nice thing about the Schott Zwiesels is that they are an establised brand. So they have now been made for many years, and probably they will be into the future. So when you break a few you can easily buy another matching box.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:44 am

I'm with Doug , for everyday drinking I stick with the "O's".

Salute
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 am

Patrick Martin wrote:Are the GG Golds the same size bowl as the Zalto Bordeaux?

No, closer in size to the Zalto Universal. I'd guess 17-18 oz?

I had a couple of Speigelaus that clouded (after years of dishwasher)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:43 pm

wnissen wrote:[Do you recall what type of crystal the Spiegelaus were? I seem to be very lucky with my dishwasher / detergent / water. The only thing I can't put in there is alumnium and gold-plated stuff. But I think I also have all the older lead crystal glasses.

Ours were older too, purchased when Spieglau was the New Big Thing when we lived in Huntington Beach, so 1995 to 2003 and purchased early in that span, and believed to be equal in quality to the Riedels, which we also owned concurrently. Our displeasure with the Spieglaus was all the more evident because the Riedels didn't etch/retain water like the Spieglaus did with about the same amount of use. Shortly after we moved here, we tossed the Spieglaus.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Does anyone else keep freebie glasses?

We aren't fans of Chateau Ste Michelle wines, but we're big fans of the Chateau as a summer concert venue and attended two shows this summer, this year of their 50th anniversary. At the shows we have access to the Chateau for wine purchases--you bring your own glasses or use their plastic, and you can take a bottle, any bottle, to your seats. OR, you can purchase from a limited selection by the glass. If you're drinking whites, it's $8 for the first (generous) glass and $5 for refills. And you keep the glass which, this year, are embossed in gold with the 50th anniversary stuff. The glass is excellent for both whites and reds, a Bordeaux shape but a tad smaller. Everything tastes good in it. We have four.

And then last year we were travelling in our little RV, where we had stemless Riedels, which I hate, and were driving past a Good Will in Oregon when I squealed, "Stop! I feel lucky! I can smell Riedels!" So into the Good Will we went and indeed we got lucky. We found a pair of Riedel Extreme pinot glasses, and three Bordeaux stems embossed for a Pope Pius (with Roman Numeral) Catholic golf tournament. Turned out the Extremes qualified for an extra 50% discount so, out the door, $2.59 for all, and I didn't have to drink out of those 'O's anymore. (We aren't Catholic or religious--except about drinking out of good glassware.)

Now, for everyday, unless a burgundy stem is called for, we gravitate toward the CSM and pope glasses. Not because we are trying to save our 'good' glasses (I don't even believe in that), but because these are what ended up in the cupboard where we keep the glassware for everyday use, and because they have good memories associated with them. We're sentimental, I'll admit. Oh, and when we drank a Dom Perignon the other night? Bob chose the pope glasses, giggling at the thought that we might invite a little celestial assistance in warding off the bomb from North Korea.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:04 pm

I used to have a ton of winery glasses, but ditched them all when we thought we were moving.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:51 pm

We're still using a bunch of Spiegelau glasses, "Vino Grande," I think, in two different sizes, that we bought around 15 years ago, although we also have a couple of Riedel Burgundy glasses that we use regularly too (and hand-wash). The Spiegelaus haven't suffered too much in the dishwasher over the years, luckily, but we've broken a few and need to restock, so this is a useful thread.

Somewhere, we have a big set of engraved Silver Oak glasses. We stopped there on a couple of family tasting trips (me, Andrea, her parents and brother, my father and aunt) back before we were married, and the tasting fee, at the time, included the glass. The family saved them all, put them together into a single set, and gave them to us when we got married, half tongue in cheek (we were never big S.O. lovers). We occasionally use them when we have larger groups over, though that isn't as often as it should be!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:11 pm

4 Gabriel Glas Gold are on their way to me.
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:06 pm

I may have stumbled on a find. I had bought a large number of "unbreakable" glasses and had broken so many that I couldn't get 6 of the same glasses on a table at once, so I was in the market for decent glasses. About a year ago my wife and I were in a Spanish grocery story in Soho in NYC that had a tapas and wine bar in the back. We ordered a few snacks and two glasses of white wine. My wife immediately remarked how comfortable the glass was to hold. Another customer also liked them and told the owner. They said Stolzle on the bottom of the glass.

When we got home I searched for them and found them in a restaurant supply website. We ordered a six pack of the white wine glasses, which turned out to work well for all types of whites. The restaurant uses and all purpose red wine glass from the same line, but being a red wine snob I ordered six packs of both Burgundy and Bordeaux glasses. We liked them so much that I reordered everything and now have 12 of each, so if we break some it's not a disaster.

Specifics:

The site was http://www.webstaurantstore.com.

White wine: Stolzle 2200002T Experience

Burgundy: Stolzle 2200000T Experience

Bordeaux: Stolzle 2200035T Experience

They all run about $30 per six pack. We have done a lot of experimenting with wine glasses and are very happy with these.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:57 am

Glencairn

Ohh, wine glasses! :D Still Riedel vinum burg, bdx, and riesling shapes, mostly.
Next