The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WS: Camuto on the Collio Problem

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WS: Camuto on the Collio Problem

by TomHill » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 am

Interesting article in the WS by RobertCamuto:
Camuto/Collio
on the "Collio Problem".
The Collio producers feel there are too many varieties and winemaking styles that the "true" identity of the Collio is being lost in the noise and consumers are not having a true appreciation of their wines. Perhaps..but the diversity of the wines from Collio and Brda are what makes, to me, the area so interesting.
Their solution is a DOCG identification for a Collio Grandes Selezione, that must be 50%-70% Friulano, and the balance Malvasia and Ribolla. Well....at least the emphasis is on local/indigenous varieties.
And the wine will come in a "unique angular bottle". Ah...yes...the secret to marketing your "unique" wine. It's the exact same reason the bocksbuetel has made Francoina wines the most popular of all Germany. :-)
But the emphasis is on indigenous native varities. So maybe Chard and SauvBlanc will fade into the sunset for Collio? Actually, the Collio SauvBlancs are some of my favorite SauvBlancs.
But they have not abandoned the workhorse PinotGrigio. There will be a Collio PinotGrigio Superiore, set to new standards. 100% barrel ferment, aged in 100% new Fr.oak, full ML...man...I can hardly wait. :-)
Anyway, despite my [potstir.gif], the article is a good read on one of my favorite areas.
Tom
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WS: Camuto on the Collio Problem

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:03 am

I'm a big fan of Collio too, Tom. I've bee following it since the very start ... um ... of the current century? Still feels like a long time. Thanks for the report!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WS: Camuto on the Collio Problem

by Tim York » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Assuming that Collio's customer base is mainly European, I think that they are commercially correct in trying to get a better place/taste correlation in their wines with the aid of DOC rules. That shouldn't prevent them from continuing to produce, say, SB under a Vino di Tavola or IGP label. Languedoc/Roussillon suffers a bit from a similar identity problem but they are further along the road in limiting the appellation to approved cocktails of Mediterranean varieties.
Tim York