The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Favorite wine versus desert island wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Favorite wine versus desert island wine

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:43 am

I am in the middle of a two week business trip, where I am essentially not drinking anything alcoholic. I was invited to a free wine & charcuterie reception one evening, and that's been it.

It does not stop me from thinking about wine though, and one of the things that keeps running through my head is that my favorite wine(s) are not the wine I would take to the proverbial desert island.

My favorite wine would be German Riesling or maybe Red Burgundy, but if I was sent to a pile of sand and palm trees, I would bring Champagne. Sparkling wine goes with pretty much everything, though I have never tried it with coconut-based dishes. ;)

So how about everyone else. Would your favorite kind of wine be the same wine you would want to have around if there was nothing else available?

Bonus question, if restricted to one bottling that you can already afford(!), what would it be? I would bring a stash of Pierre Péters NV.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Favorite wine versus desert island wine

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:30 am

Great question! Never mind the fancy stuff. I've got to go with the wines I most enjoy for everyday use at the dinner table, Chianti and Cotes-du-Rhone. And honestly, I don't think I'd change that even if I were on a desert island.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:07 am

I would like a nice selection of dry whites from Portugal (Luis Pato), leaving some room for some reserv as from Rioja.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:19 am

I've thought about this question many times and always take it too literally. I'm on a desert island all by myself. If I am allowed a limited amount of one wine, say 10 cases, I'd probably choose a vintage port. I do not like port much but a few sips a day would probably be fine and last a long time and also hold up in the heat. Now as to favorite wine in another setting, say I was in prison, that changes everything. I'd go for a bottle a day of some great first growth Bordeaux or cult Ca. cab. Even that would get boring but HEY, I,m in prison so I can ponder all of that one wines subtle complexities!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:13 am

I find it difficult to nominate a favourite wine. It's hard to imagine life without red Bordeaux, red and white Burgundy, especially Chablis, N.Rhône, Chenin and CabFranc based Loire, Mosel/Nahe riesling, Barolo/Barbaresco, Chianti, port, sherry, Madeira, Beaujolais crus, traditional Rioja................

If I had to chose one only for a desert island, I think it would be a 30 year old left-bank claret, e.g. Léoville-Poyferré 1982, whose dignified, fragrant and complex harmony would be unlikely to pall.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Also probably taking the question for too literally, I usually conclude that Madeira would be best - as it would be the wine most likely to survive, and I could sip a little whenever I felt like it.

If I were allowed communication with Jim we could compare aging notes, but I bet mine would last longer :) Besides, I prefer Madeira to Port.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Yeah, you all are right. You take it too literally.

May I present you with a solar powered wine cooler. :mrgreen:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:18 pm

White burgundy would meet all my needs for refreshment. Now, mind you, when we go to Hawaii we pack a case of mostly Sauvignon Blanc so perhaps I'm out of touch with my island-girl brain, but after the 09 Chandon de Briailles Corton Charlemagne I opened last week I cannot imagine a Sauv Blanc that could compete.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov