The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: can someone tell me why I bought a Kefraya white?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: can someone tell me why I bought a Kefraya white?

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:12 pm

Betsy called in search of a white for cooking, I was busy and told her anything on the inexpensive "to drink" rack in cellar. She made a starter of kale with proscuitto and parmesan, followed by a chicken "bouillabaisse" . She had opened the 2005 Ch. Kefraya "La Dame Blanche" (Bekaa Valley) . Very floral, low acid, a bit like a low-quality Viognier. There's a muskiness that I don't really get into, and an odd flavor- reminds me of cheap brandy, but it's not hot. Overall I guess Rhone varieties, and I'm not a big fan of Rhone whites. Turns out it's Bourboulenc, Clairette, and Ugni Blanc (the last meaning I'm not far off in my cheap brandy thoughts). I've never really gotten into the Musar white, but I think I like it more than the Kefraya! Unsure how this ever ended up in my shopping basket. C

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: can someone tell me why I bought a Kefraya white?

by Saina » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:41 pm

Momentary bout of foolishness? I don't know. The reason why I once in Syria bought a bunch on non-Musar Lebanese whites for sure was a momentary bout of foolishness.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:07 pm

I'm not a big fan of Kefaya whites either. I had one a couple of years ago that saw enough oak to choke, well, me. I do like the reds though, and you can't walk into a middle-eastern restaurant in Paris without finding the Rose on the menu. It too is very pleasant, if not quite in the same league as Musar.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Dale,
Great story. We also have a "to cook with" rack but it is in the kitchen. My problem is that I sometimes drink out of this rack and am pleasantly surprised. This is where we keep the yellow tail which I think is the ultimate beef stew or wine reduction wine. The funny thing, like you, I sometimes cannot figure out how some of the wines ever got on the rack or why I ever bought them. Think it is the wine troll that buys these.
Walt
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:03 pm

Can I blame the wine troll when my credit card bill comes in?
Bill, will not let this experience taint me re the rose, if I see it will try it.