The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

wtn: Bachelet, Burgaud, Volxem, Loosen, Cognard, '92 CdP

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

wtn: Bachelet, Burgaud, Volxem, Loosen, Cognard, '92 CdP

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:58 pm

With tofu and eggplant curry, the 2015 Loosen Red Slate Dry Riesling. Good acids, peach and grapefruit, with a little gingery note on finish. Good vake at $11 closeout. B/B-

Someone had given a gift of a ‘92 CdP. Low hopes, especially as his storage is passive and very dry. But I just lined up a backup, grilled a Cornish hen with N. African spices, and open the 1992 Mas Louis Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Pretty tired but actually more drinkable than I expected - some kirschy fruit laced with barnyard, ashtray and cedar. Betsy was away and I was tired, so I decided not to open backup. C+/C

With scallops, miso glazed eggplant, spinach salad, & acorn squash, the 2013 Laurent Cognard “les Bassets” Montagny 1er. Full bodied, good acids, hint of butterscotch over full pear and apple fruit. B/B+

Sunday I went to sister-in-law’s, her husband had made bo ssam with all the fixings, baby bok choy, and put out selection of banchan. I carried over 2 wines

2015 Van Volxem Rotschiefer Kabinett

Very light, zippy Saar acids, sweet peach over green apple and rocks. Not very complex, but quite tasty. B

2016 Burgaud “Chateau de Thulon” Beaujolais-Villages
This has some tannin but I didn’t find it hard or unyielding (as I’ve heard was rep for producer). Red and black cherry, some fresh leafy aromas, good length. B+/B

Monday I was taking a college group out and needed a quick dinner, got a rotisserie chicken (too salty). On Tuesday I took rest off bone, made broth, used the broth to cook brown rice and green lentils, then added the chicken and some spinach. Wine was the 2014 Bachelet Bourgogne rouge. Full bodied for Bourgogne, yet sprightly. Red and black cherry, touch of blood orange, lots of earth. Well balanced, noticable tannin but not intrusive, good “baby Gevrey.” $37 for Bourgogne makes me wince, but in today’s market not actually bad. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: wtn: Bachelet, Burgaud, Volxem, Loosen, Cognard, '92 CdP

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks for the notes Dale. Wait until you see the price for 2015 Bachelet Bourgogne!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Dale: Who can resist les Bassets?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 am

Joe Moryl wrote:Dale: Who can resist les Bassets?

Exactly! Ruby the Hound is 1 today. Her birthday tea is sunday. We did same for her predecessor Lucy, I always had ESJ Bassetti or Mulderbosch Faithful Hound to serve, but white choices were weaker (Dog Point). So jumped on a few bottles of this when I saw at good pricing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:43 am

Aw, happy birthday to Ruby!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov