The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Duckhorn Mondavi Phelps Signorello Renwood Ridge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Duckhorn Mondavi Phelps Signorello Renwood Ridge

by Bill Spohn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Notes from a blind tasting dinner.

2011 Pine Ridge Chardonnay Dijon Clone – not the first winery that comes to mind for quality chard, but this one was OK. Pale yellow with a nose of cantaloupe and citrus, good balance and length
2013 Joseph Phelps Chardonnay Freestone Vineyards (Sonoma) – a step up – markedly grapefruit nose, nice acidity with toasted pine nuts, good length

1979 Monterey Peninsula Winery Zinfandel Ferrero Ranch (Amador) – not a commonly known name, this is no longer in production although the name is apparently owned by Mondavi (see https://www.goldmedalwineclub.com/winer ... nterey-ava )

I used to drive by their sales outlet on my way to and from racing vintage cars at Laguna Seca race track and would stop by to sample and buy small lot Zins. It was interesting, as the tasting room was shared by another producer with a decidedly more down market consumer in mind. They sold, among other things, a wine called Monterey Nights in gallon jugs, and I recall when I was at one end of the counter chatting with one of the principals about winemaking niceties, while overhearing a large and brightly dressed lady at the other end saying loudly (Hey Mabel, this stuff isn’t bad and it’s cheap!” Kind of brought the tone down a tad.

The wine was a pale old wine with hints of coffee and spice in the nose, a surprisingly sweet entry and decent flavour interest although it narrowed down a bit at the end. The nose just kept opening and improving with time. A pleasant surprise.

2009 Mayacamas Mt. Veeder Pinot Noir – almost no nose, good colour, sweet cherry in the mouth, finishing a bit short. Disappointing. On the way out.

1987 Duckhorn Merlot Vine Hill Ranch
– wow! Fairly dark, with a green note in an otherwise dark fruit and cocoa nose, good fruit on palate and good length – excellent shape.

1986 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
– rather claret like with a good nose of dusty oak and cigar box with some nice currant fruit. Just lovely on palate, lengthy and smooth – a pleasure and a good bottle.

1997 Signorello Padrone – poured I sympathy for the recent loss of the winery. Dark wine with a lightly oaked nose, and some very nice fruit on palate, finishing softly with medium length. Surprised it is so far along.

1994 Renwood Grandpere Zinfandel – also from my cellar as I asked permission to drive home the idea that Zin can age gracefully. Medium colour, some nice spice in the nose with some ripeness, well structured and not too sweet or ripe in the mouth and with a long smooth finish.

1998 St. Francis Cabernet Sauvignon – interesting burnt butterscotch nose and browning, all oak and a simple disappointing wine.

1999 Ridge Montebello – quite dark with a tarry oak nose with dried fruit and hints of capsicum, but the a bit unexpectedly, on palate it showed as more claret like, medium bodied and only exposed by the sweetness in the finish. Just a hint of astringency at the end.

2000 Far Niente Dolce – this Sauternes style blend was apricot in colour and also in the nose, viscous and spicy in the mouth , sweet and long. Very good.

Quady Essencia – a lemon and orange marmalade nose, care of the orange muscat used in it, but in this case leavened with nutmeg ad allspice. And a hint of Sichuan pepper. Interesting but put in the shade a bit by the Dolce.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Duckhorn Mondavi Phelps Signorello Renwood Ridge

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:37 pm

Not a fan of that Phelps Freestone. I've had a few and my impression's been the same: they just don't merit their price. That is, for my palate they compete at the $20 level, and I think there are better California $20 chardonnays. But for $35-40? No.

I'm surprised anyone kept a St. Francis around that long.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 pm

The Phelps was better than some bottles we'd had.

The owner of the regular St. Francis should have known better. Heck, I even brought a further back up in case the 79 Zin had tanked and my second wine was weak.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Too bad re the owner of the SF. No excuse for anyone in that group to bring a wine they wouldn't be proud of. It kind of means the rest of the group carries the duds, and that's neither fair nor acceptable.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov